Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

ive got a cricket chirpy squealing sound coming from my driver side and i cant figure out what it is. it almost sounds like squeaky brakes but in know its not that. the sound will only start after i drive it hard or after im on the freeway for a while. It does not make dolt while idling and once i come to a stop it will disappear pretty quick. its not very loud and most people cant hear it from the passenger seat. it will do it briefly when i come to a complete stop or when im rolling along and just kick it into neutral and rev it so i know it has to be something from the engine.

any input is appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
hey guys

ive got a cricket chirpy squealing sound coming from my driver side and i cant figure out what it is. it almost sounds like squeaky brakes but in know its not that. the sound will only start after i drive it hard or after im on the freeway for a while. It does not make dolt while idling and once i come to a stop it will disappear pretty quick. its not very loud and most people cant hear it from the passenger seat. it will do it briefly when i come to a complete stop or when im rolling along and just kick it into neutral and rev it so i know it has to be something from the engine.

any input is appreciated thanks!
Have you checked your power steering belt or compressor belt? Are they loose? Cracks? Old? Does the noise change when you turn on the AC?
Has your timing maintenance been done recently? How old is your clutch? Recently replaced anything?

Belts whether they are too loose or too tight can make all sorts of noises. I also had my clutch squeak before when my rear main seal had a horrible leak, all the oil didn't agree with the clutch so it would occasionally make strange squeaking noises, go figure.

And once after doing my timing maintenance, I put the new balancer belt on too tight which caused a noise very similar to a cricket chirping to come from the timing cover, however it only happened when the engine was completely warmed up and at idle. Loosening the belt a hair fixed the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Havent checked either of those ones but i will and no it doesnt get worse when i turn on the a/c. Had my timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, and seal done about a month ago and just put in a nee clutch and throwout bearing. Started to make the sound a few weeks after i got the timing components done.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you able to make the sound appear when at idle just by revving? If you can do this, then have someone control the throttle in the car while you check under the bay and try to pinpoint the exact location of the noise. It should be pretty obvious if it is coming from under the timing cover.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tired that to no avail. Once the car has come to a stop after about 10 seconds the noise will disappear. t mostly happens after i get on the freeway and up to speeds. Its as if whatever is making the noise has to be put under stress for a little bit for it to start up. Its really hard to explain how it happens and unfortunately it not loud enough for me to record it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
When your on the freeway driving and it is actively making the noise, does pushing in the clutch change anything with the noise or is it still present?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No if i push in the clutch the noise will stop. If im on the freeway and push the clutch in and rev it while the clutch is pushed in it will make the noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a bracket that was broken attatched to my header that made a vibration at 2500 rpn. Fixer it and the vibration and whistle/squeap went away with it. Weird as hell but im not complaining lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts