Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well earlier today my car wouldnt start, well i determined that my alternator was on the fritZ!!! so i got it jumped and saw it was only running 12.9v max so i decided to have someone follow me home. on the way........... i was noticing that my dash lights were shining like it was a good alternator and then soon after that it went dim and then bright again, i think my alternator was just working and then not... im thinking that my green plug that goes into the alternator is loose or bad connection? or do alternators do that just before they finally just give in?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Check ground wires and the part that connects the wiring harness to the alternator...not the green one i believe it is held on by a 10mm bolt....clean the grean one while you are at it....and make sure you disconnect the battery before you are taking ground wires apart and playing with the alternator

·
Registered
196 Posts
I find the green connector can get kinda loose too. You might try to use a flat screwdriver to push the connector pieces into a position that plugs tighter, and of course, cleaning all the contacts is good. Although ground wire is probably a large concern, and the connections at the battery terminals, check all of those electrical connections and clean 'em all up. In the end, could also be a bad voltage regulator too. Let us know how the testing and cleaning goes.

·
Registered
694 Posts
check your belt. mine was super loose because i snapped the adjustment bolt and it was only somewhat driving the alternator

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no belts are squealing and today i just started it up without a need of jumper cables... and i checked the voltage this time and its 13.9v 14v 13.8v. wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
take to napa, pep boys, o'Reailys or wherever and just have it tested
Did you follow this advice? This is where you should start because they can test the entire charging system while the car is running. And it's usually free for this test.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
It's really in their best interest to offer this service. They are hoping that if they find a faulty part, then you'll probably buy a replacement from them at that time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts