Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i feel up on a full tank and in four to five days i damn near empty...do i need a tune up or what?

·
Registered
540 Posts
My last tank of gas was right about 220 miles, and I had about an 8th of a tank left.. Eww, I replaced my oil riddened air filter (I need a new oil pan gasket) and filled her back up. It's still to be seen whether it helped or not considering I've only logged like 8 miles since the tank..

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
keep in mind fuel guages are never 100% accurate. on our guages, that last 1/8th of a tank lasts the longest. when i read 1/8th tank, if i drive til i run out, i get about 80 miles lol. but if you start at like 1/2 (4/8ths) tank and drive to 3/8ths tank, you'll only get like 40 miles. gotta love it.

and as for your crappy gas mileage, if its true, try a tuneup, and try the link above. most people that complain about bad gas mileage just need to change their driving styles for better gas mileage.

my blazer is specced for ~17 mpg. the first few months i owned it i was getting ~19mpg. after i changed my driving style without changing anything on the truck, i now get approx 24mpg. and its the 4.3L vortec motor. same applies for ludes. my gf's 3g gets about 25mpg when she drives it, but about 33mpg when i drive it. its all in your driving style.

·
12,918 Posts
How the hell can you get 850km on one gas tank.. that's simply not possible with 3rd gens.. that's what 94 jetta tdi's do. You're probably messing up the calculations or something else is wrong.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
LudaPower said:
How the hell can you get 850km on one gas tank.. that's simply not possible with 3rd gens.. that's what 94 jetta tdi's do. You're probably messing up the calculations or something else is wrong.
where in the world did you get that 850km per tank idea?

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It's near impossible to run the tank completely dry and still drive, I've pulled into a station glugging from fuel slosh and only fit 14.7 gallons in to the brim.

In other news, from 7 hours straight of freeway driving at 70-75mph, i got 33mpg (filled up at 490 miles = 788 km on the tank!)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the help, burns, and bragging rights!:headbang:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Here is how i calculate my MPG.

i fill up gas tank.. drive until it is close to E.( measure miles in gauge).

i fill it up again.. and here is MPG..

(total miles that i drove from previous fill up divided by how many galons of gas i put this time).

I heard this should be "true MPG" .

well.

btw.. i get around 27mpg for city and close to 30 plus MPG for hway...

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
yes, that is how you're supposed to do it. or you can be even more accurate and do what i do:
fill the tank and reset the trip meter. keep track of the exact amount of gas you get for a few weeks or months and never touch the trip meter. then after you've driven a few thousand miles, fill the tank again and add that amount to you list, then total up the gallons of gas total you've purchased since you reset the tripmeter and look at your mileage. thats the much much much more accurate way to do it lol, cuz theres a lot let room for error. and also compensates for different driving styles over a period of time. ie: one week you could get 25mpg, the next week you could get 35mpg. both only driving on the exact same route the entire time equal number of times. so if you record everything for a few weeks or months, you'll get true overall average gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.