Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
IBALLHARD
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
look what i found under my moms bmw's oil cap...

that does not look good..

so what made me look under it is because i saw a puddle of something in the driveway that came from her car so i pulled it in the garage, and decided to check the oil and the dipstick looked fine and pulled the cap off and it looked like that.

it has been really cold here so i guess thats why it hasnt been overheating if it is indeed a blown headgasket.

pulled the radiator cap off and there wasnt "as much" coolant in there when the last time i checked it which wasnt to long ago because the "check your coolant level" thing came on so i topped it off.
but really didnt loose toooo terribly much..

this is just great.
my mom is going threw a hard time right now and we were actually going to be selling this car because she needs some money to pay some bills.
but now if this is a blown hg its not going to sell... or at least not get what we need out of it..
fuck bmws.

damn i dont know what to do...
if anybody can tell me way to diagnose it more to really be able to tell if it is a headgasket thatd be great.

i dont really feel like doing anything, this sucks.

the car has been running fine and it does have a check engine light on but got that code pulled and it was a code for a vacuum leak or some shit...
she has to drive the car.. no other means of transportation right now..

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts

·
Chatbox Whore
1,570 Posts
experiencing any problems? Pull the dipstick, look at the color of your oil. If it is the normal brown, you're ok for the time being, or the leak isnt major. if it is a milkshake brown, you might have a problem

how is it running?

·
IBALLHARD
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
it seems to be running fine and the car has been driven everyday so its not like it has been sitting for awhile to build up condensation..
but it has been pretty cold here lately.. dont know if that has anything to do with it..

i really need to know if it is ok to drive.. lol i know thats hard to be able to tell if you arent looking at it yourself..

but also like i said when it was sitting for not that long there was a puddle of i believe oil on the ground that wasnt there before i parked it this morning when i went to the bankkk....

and the oil dipstick looks fine. a regular brown color, not milky like the oil cap...
here is a video of that weird "tick" i was talking about..

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If it seems to be running fine and your oil isnt milky and its not overheating, then sell it now. You said you need to get rid of it then get rid of it before something does go wrong.

·
IBALLHARD
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it seems to be running fine and your oil isnt milky and its not overheating, then sell it now. You said you need to get rid of it then get rid of it before something does go wrong.
yea just the oil cap is milky looking.
thats what im going to try and do..
but it kinda needs to be driven until it sells.
and i need to know if i can drive it or not without really fucking something up...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
yea just the oil cap is milky looking.
thats what im going to try and do..
but it kinda needs to be driven until it sells.
and i need to know if i can drive it or not without really fucking something up...
That i cant tell you for sure. I def wouldnt beat on it though.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
Is your mom good enough to watch the water temp, and pull over if it starts to overheat? Because most people just drive their cars into the ground regardless of any special instructions you give them.

You could always trade cars with her for a few days so you can see first hand if it has any problems.

·
IBALLHARD
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is your mom good enough to watch the water temp, and pull over if it starts to overheat? Because most people just drive their cars into the ground regardless of any special instructions you give them.

You could always trade cars with her for a few days so you can see first hand if it has any problems.
yea she is good enough to do that for sure.
she has had to do it before on one of her older cars.
but would it be ok to drive it you think until/if it ever overheats?

she would definitely pull over too if it overheats. she has been there and done that.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
and the oil dipstick looks fine. a regular brown color, not milky like the oil cap...
here is a video of that weird "tick" i was talking about..
That "tick" is the VANOS system. (read: BMW VTEC) Could just be the cold screwing with it. Most BMWs make all kinds of wierd ticks and tocks and noises and such. It's almost normal.

on my e34 (M50TU) that tick (when it gets bad) goes away when you replace the valve cover gasket and pull all the oil out of the spark plug holes where it's probably built up pretty well. Kinda sounds like a valve tap. It'll follow your acceleration so when you rev the thing it'll speed up. I actually pulled a coil off once to find it completley submerged in oil from a leaky gasket. Happened on both my 5er and my dads. Pretty easy $100 fix.

Trust me, when it's headgasket time you will know... your o2 sensor will probably foul very quickly, you'll have a rough idle and very difficult starting... of course, you'll also have overheating problems and the telltale smoke. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
LOL oh shit i hope thats not whats wrong with my lude oh i gotta go check now my lude has been overheating and it has stuff leaking ive changed the water pump cus it was leaking i hope thats what it is now maybe a busted hose or something if my head gaskets gone iim fucked lol sorry didnt mean to threadjack
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
What kind of oil are you running? If it's really cold and you're only taking short trips it's likely the oil isn't really reaching it's proper operating temp and that can be a result. You could try switching to a thinner oil but if you're already leaking that might not be the best idea.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a 2000 750il the V12 big bad boy that was 315 HP and i loved that car so much, but the headgasket blew on it and BMW wanted $5500 to replace and the cheapest place i could find to fix it was $4300 so needless to say i sold the car. Good luck hope its not to bad in cost for your mom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts