1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so gais, heres my issue.

my crank pulley fell off.

*gasp* surprise.

i was driving down the road at about 40 (5 below the speed limit) in 5th gear just cruising driving this girl home. and them BAM, I felt something hit my tire. I thought it was a rock because it bounced into the underside of my car and hit my back tire before it was forced out the side of my car. then my steering got hard. Im like fuck maybe a rock forced the tirerod out or some gay shit like that. So as im pulling over, my car cuts off. now im worried like wtmf.

so i get out and i pop the hood, all the fucking belts are just chilling with no tension. im like wtf, so i pull the bigger belt off and tada, the fucking pulley is just chilling on the belt. so now im like fuck the nut just flew off. i get it towed to the guy who put my motor in. he said he doesnt know what could of happended and that since he hasnt seen my car in 10 months he doesnt know what he can do.

but back to my question, WHY THE FUCK WOULD THE CRANK PULLEY JUST FALL OFF?!

any and all answers will be appreciated.

·
12,918 Posts
A: The bolt wasn't tightened properly.
B: Your crank is bent.

I hope it's A in your case.
Did you check if your timing belt is okay? Hopefully it didn't slip off with the pulley.

Slap another crank pulley on, if it ever happens again then it's a good guess that your crank is bent. Sorry to be the giver of bad news.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Good question. The bolt was left loose is all I can thinks of or crank but not likely. JLude had to come to my shop for air tools to get his loose. I think 155ft lbs is standard. No way to come off it installed correctly imo.

·
Back 2 Hackin
4,375 Posts
Ive had this happen before while racing.

What happen with me, was the threads on the crank itself ripped out and the bolt flew out. It was total failure, but the crank pulley bolt, like yours had been on there for almost a year without tampering and just happened out of the blue.

I had an aftermarket aluminum crank pulley though.

What I did to correct the problem form happen again in the future. Use red locktite on the bolt and wont touch aluminum crank pulleys again.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
this happened to me once before when my friend dropped the clutch in 1st while going like 15mph. shredded all the belts and ended up costing me 2500 in repairs. most likely it wasn't tightened down enough. if i were you, i'd take that to another shop, get documentation saying it wasn't tightened down enough and bring that back to the shop who put the engine in, and demand them to cover all damages.

·
Registered
209 Posts

any and all answers will be appreciated.[/quote]

This happened to me after my T-Belt job. I was showing off with a friend coming down the Bayou Chico Bridge in P-Cola. I dropped it into Third and stuck it HARD,brought it to like what seemed like 8000. Put it in fourth slowed down and BAMN! I thought I blew the motor, It sounds like a gremlin beating on shit with a hammer under my hood. Then it shut off like yours did. I pooped the hood and the H.balance r had shredded my belts. At least the H.balance r was there,it wedged it self against my engine comp. I had to pay some dude that my mechanic knew to come out to me and he used that chain wrench people talk about to tighten it back on. He told me to buy a new one cause the key way had wallowed out the spot on my pulley. He said for me to feel fortunate because it did not do this to the crank. I WAS PISSED. So I call my mechanic and I proceed to ask him why it came off. "It hadn't even been 1000 miles" He said that he didn't know,but he would go in on it with me. So I brought the car to him and he put some lock tight on the bolt and put my new pulley on. OEM btw. Dont skimp there. Cause that can be bad bad bad if it screws the pooch and damages the crank. It's good now. O yeah, plus new belts. Make sure it didn't damage your crank, and get a new key way. DON'T USE THE OLD ONE.

·
12,918 Posts

any and all answers will be appreciated.
What do you mean back to your question?
You haven't even posted here yet.
Look at what I posted first, it's either because of A or B.
Either that or a trunk monkey somehow got into the engine bay.

·
Bearderator
8,521 Posts
What do you mean back to your question?
You haven't even posted here yet.
Look at what I posted first, it's either because of A or B.
Either that or a trunk monkey somehow got into the engine bay.
I think he quote failed. You can see the end quote tag he must have deleted the begin quote tag.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well from what he told me yesterday was that the keyway bent/broke or some shit and that made it all pop off, he put it back on and inspected the head and said no visible damage and that all 4 cylinders were running good. im going to pick the car up in a hour or so.

improper installation is what i though too, thiers no fucking way the thing just falls up. thanks for the verification guys.

i didnt get new belts as these belts havnt even bin used for 5000 miles yet. i figured they were still good.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You didn't notice anything weird while driving? It wouldn't just fall out instantly. My belts were making a lot of noises so I brought it into the shop. Took out the crank pulley bolt and it turns out the bolt was broken and half of it was stuck in the crankshaft. Spent two days drilling out the remainder.

This problem isn't an isolated incident either. My guess is that the bolt is prone to failure and most mechanics just gun the bolt down rather than torque it to spec. In your case, perhaps the bolt wasn't tightened down enough and came loose.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I know a chick that had a '99 base auto that this happened to. The crank pulley bolt head broke off. She wanted to sell the car for parts. I told her $1500 and she said YES. I went to the bank and got the money, and then she said she was going to fix it (arrrggghh). Would've been a killer deal though it had custom leather upholstry, Koni yellows, never been wrecked, etc. she had owned it since new and it was autocrossed every summer and it had 211K miles, KBB said it was worth $5500 (with a working motor). I talked to a Honda tech and he said that the rest of the bolt would probably unscrew by hand. A new pulley was $120 and the bolt was $6. I also found a boneyard with a motor for $800 shipped. I was VERY excited until she backed out. Here are some photos.

·
_
2,494 Posts
HAH!! 1800. i applaud your effort(s).

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the crank pulley is fucked.

he put it back on but i noticed wierd noises when i drove from 3k-4k rpms.
turns out the shit was wobbling. took it back and hes putting a new one on thier for me today.

·
Registered
209 Posts
well the crank pulley is fucked.

he put it back on but i noticed wierd noises when i drove from 3k-4k rpms.
turns out the shit was wobbling. took it back and hes putting a new one on thier for me today.
What did I just tell you? Been there and done that. It's wobbling because it's wallowed out. Buy a new keyway too. DONT just buy the new H/B. Be there and make sure/watch that he torque's it to spec.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Why would you even consider letting the mechanic reinstall the pulley that fell off? I replaced mine with a new OEM Honda. It's a very vital part to your engine.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
This isn't as uncommon as you would think, with Preludes. I remember a few months ago this shit was happening once a week on here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts