Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Thats the CYL sensor, the Crank Angle Sensor is the twenty four point rotor inside the dist below the TDC sensor (which is the four point).

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i still dont see what the difference is lol. cyl sensor is technically the same thing as a crank angle sensor, technically lol. they both detect the position of the crank one way or another

but yes, the one on the exhaust cam is labelled as the cyl sensor while the crank angle sensor is inside the distributor.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
The CYL sensor has a single peak on it's wheel, which fires every other crank rotation(at TDC #1), it is generally used for sequencial injection and/or ignition, in conjunction with a 12 or 24 point sensor.

The CAS sensor has twenty four peaks, firing twelve times per crank rotation, they are generally used for computer adjusted ignition timing, and accurate timing of injection pulses.

The TDC sensor has four peaks, firing two per crank rotation(15 degrees before every time a piston hits TDC), and is generally used for basic spark, or spark and fuel timing.

The engine will run with just the TDC sensor, but loses fuel timing control, and possibly some ignition timing accuracy.

The fuel timing isn't terribly important, and generally only affects the engine at low speeds and idle, making for slightly more emissions and slightly less efficiency.

Thus ends the brief class on EFI VR (veriable reluctance, cool words eh? ;P) sensors and their uses.

Reactions: motoxxxman

·
Registered
750 Posts
are you guys trying to refer to the Cam sensor and the Crank sensor?

a it isnt called a cylinder sensore its called a cam sensor. the crank sensore will get its reference of the harmonic balancer or the crank pully. its a hall-effect sensor like an ABS sensore. i dont see one on my JDM B20a maybe because its jdm maybe because it just doesnt have it.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
trouble codes:
code 4: CKP - cranshaft position sensor
code 8: TDC - top dead center position sensor
code 9: CYP - cylinder position sensor

notice the names, its called a CYL [position] sensor, not a cam sensor. this is how ALL companies/businesses/whatever label the trouble codes and these parts.

cranshaft position sensor is the same thing as crankshaft angle sensor. and our cars have the CKP/CAS inside the distributor, not on the crank itsself. majority, if not all, of hondas have this setup.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone have pictures of what is looks like? I have a JDM b20a and can't find it? The ECU is throwing that code at me, which is why I ask since I read that I can just clean it and it'll be like new again.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
which code are you getting? 4 8 or 9?

4 and 8, you would clean/replace the distributor. the thing the spark plug wires attach to
code 9 its the thing in front of the distributor, mounted in the same way as the distributor, but on the exhaust cam instead of the intake cam.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
playboyesq said:
are you guys trying to refer to the Cam sensor and the Crank sensor?

a it isnt called a cylinder sensore its called a cam sensor. the crank sensore will get its reference of the harmonic balancer or the crank pully. its a hall-effect sensor like an ABS sensore. i dont see one on my JDM B20a maybe because its jdm maybe because it just doesnt have it.

A crank angle sensor can be run off the crank or the cam, it can be a VR sensor, a hall effect sensor, or an optical sensor.

The CYL sensor is the CYL sensor, some companies have a sensor called a cam sensor, but the sensor on the exhaust cam is the CYL sensor.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I took it out and cleaned it, but I still get the same problem. I did notice, when I looked under the car, the flex-pipe I had that connected to the Cat wasn't there anymore. I had this very same problem on my B21A engine, and when I got the new engine in, everything was working fine. I also forgot to mention that I am also getting a code 6 as well. Anyone know what could be the solution to my problem.

·
Registered
750 Posts
tell me................whats the distributor hooked up to.

ya the cam shaft. its terminoligy. technically all of us are right. but in the trade. a crank angle sensor is a crank sensor, a cylinder sensor, is a cam sensor cause it reads tdc off the cam.

ne way he got his codes and now hes off to the races. go and fix it now.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
playboyesq said:
ya the cam shaft. its terminoligy. technically all of us are right. but in the trade. a crank angle sensor is a crank sensor, a cylinder sensor, is a cam sensor cause it reads tdc off the cam.

ne way he got his codes and now hes off to the races. go and fix it now.

Not where i am in the industry.

All of the older (and many newer) toyotas "crank sensor" is in the dist, all hondas up to the H series have the 24 point "crank sensor" in the dist, the H moved it to a 12 point on the crank.

Most american cars put the crank sensor trigger wheel on the crank.

Looking in the snap-on Modis scope for deffinitions, the sensors are about crankshaft rotational position, not whether the sensor is attached to the crank or not.

The CYL sensor IS called a cam sensor by everybody but honda though, no arguement there.

·
Registered
750 Posts
thats tru. I am used to GM products (being in a general repair small shop) thats all we really see. We dont see many hondas. and I dont usually have to work on mine because it is a honda and they are the shit. lol

i jst use my knowledge from other cars and basically use it on these cars. so my terminology will differ greatly then all of yours. just like all you guys call it ALB i call it ABS (Anti-lock Brake System)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright, I got rid of the code 6 this morning. I looked at the online manual and noticed that near the Coolant Temp. Sensor, there is this other plug-in to it's left. On my engine, there is only one slot, but two plug-ins. I had the blue on connected and noticed that only one of the fans was running, and it would turn on everytime I inserted the key in the ignition. I unplugged that one and put in the other one and , Whala, problem solved. I'm still having trouble with the code 4. The car starts on fine now, but i still can't rev past 3,5xx RPM. I took the distributor apart and cleaned really well. Can the problem be my cat?

·
Registered
840 Posts
?? u cant revv past 3.5k?? how does it restrict you does it drop and rise again instantly if you floor it? is it while you drive or while in neutral? or does it stay at 3.5k constantly and refuse to rise without slight rpm drop?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The car will act as if I were redlining it, but at 3,5xx RPM. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in, even in neutral. It'll just choke and not pass, no matter if I floor it or not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts