Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told, after an inspection, that my power steering boots were leaking (not a steady leak), because they were cracked. I was also told that a new power steering rack replacement was going to cost me between $350-$400 CAD.

Has anybody else had a problem with these boots? If so, were they a hassle to replace and what did they cost you?

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts
The boots themselves should cost like $10-15 for the pair from an autoparts store. Install in less then an hour if you know what your doing. Just have to pull the tierod ends off to get the new boots on.

No need to replace the entire rack.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well while we're talking about that. I have a PS question too.

After rebuilding the pump. Not having my PS running for about a YEAR, its working fine. no leaks nothing. Pumps just fine, except for one thing. It seems as if there's more resistance on my left turns. On my right turns its loose as ever, but on my left turns, it seems as if I need more effort. Its a little smoother if the engine speed is up.

Could this be a symptom of a damaged rack from being without pressure for so long? I kept the fluid in the system though. Just closed the ends off all year.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
MustardCat said:
The boots themselves should cost like $10-15 for the pair from an autoparts store. Install in less then an hour if you know what your doing. Just have to pull the tierod ends off to get the new boots on.

No need to replace the entire rack.
well.....

true, if your boot is cracked this dont mean you MUST replace the rack... but chances are if the boot is bad, so are the seals.

i had a boot cracked/ripped on my rack. fixing just the boot would not of helped because it had been ripped so long, the seals was also no good.

replacing just a boot would not help me.

you can have your rack rebuilt. it should be about 1/2 the price of a reman rack. most CV axel shops also do steering racks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mechanic who inspected my car told me what the price was to replace the steering rack, but he also said that replacing the boots should be done soon to avoid replacing the whole rack.

Now, if you ^ say that your seals were bad as well, then I will have to do more research into my steering rack and find out what other problems await discovery.

Thank you for the information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts