Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I thought there was something wrong with my upper ball joint so I was going to remove it, but it seems ok afterall

Thing is I removed the cotter pin. Now I'm pretty sure I did not remove it correctly because it snapped in two.

Now, my question is, I have a new cotter pin, is this thing suppose to go through the ball joint? Or am I doing something wrong?

And if this is the case, half of the old cotter pin is stuck inside the ball joint, because the new pin doesn't go through....

Is it dangerous to drive without a cotter pin?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Long story short, I thought there was something wrong with my upper ball joint so I was going to remove it, but it seems ok afterall

Thing is I removed the cotter pin. Now I'm pretty sure I did not remove it correctly because it snapped in two.

Now, my question is, I have a new cotter pin, is this thing suppose to go through the ball joint? Or am I doing something wrong?

And if this is the case, half of the old cotter pin is stuck inside the ball joint, because the new pin doesn't go through....

Is it dangerous to drive without a cotter pin?
the stud of the ball joint should have a hole all the way thru it about 1/8 to 1/4 of a inch from its end.

if half of the old cotter pin is still in there, get it out.

make sure the tabs on the castle nut are aligned in such a way as to let you easily pass a new cotter pin into and thru that hole.

bend the tabs of the new cotter pin back to hold it in place on the joint.

it is not recommended to drive w/o the cotter pin, as the lack of it can allow the castle nut to back off, and that can result in the spindle and the upper control arm separating (which can result in an accident).

the cotter is a safety item, really, and should always be replaced, never reused.

·
12,918 Posts
Yeah it's dangerous.
You need to remove the old cotter pin with something like a pin punch and a hammer.
Then just insert your new cotter pin into the castle nut, bolt thread, whatever hole is there.
And bend the ends of it afterwards obviously.

It's pretty normal for the cotter pin to break when it's that old.

Damn it Phsychoboy you beat me :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts