Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

Tonight I noticed my car knocking from what seems to be the AC compressor. sound only comes on when the AC comes on. Its not the fan, beacuse I unpluged the power to the fan temporarily so that it wouldn't spin to see if the noise would continue.

The car was updated to the new refridgerant in 97 by the previous owner.
Anyone know what it costs to look get this thing looked at? The compressor doesn't look like it too hard to get to from the bottom. but anyone have any experience with either compressors or work on their ACs?

on a side note, the car blows ice cold air....
any thoughts?

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
idk but i do know its EXTREMELY easy to take on and off. i put mine on today matter of fact. 4 12 mm bolts. thats it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea my thoughts are its probably the bearing in the pully or it needing to get rebuilt altogether.

any idea how many hours a job like that would take? replacing the bearing and replacing the whole compressor I would think should take roughly the same amount of time...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
try and spray some lubricant on it and see what that does
I was thinking about doing that, do I need to spray it where the belt is by the pully?

Do I need to worry about any adverse effects or any thing to make sure I avoid with the lubricant?

I think theres a very good possibility that it may fix it. I've had an oil leak for a while that the dealer has only recently fixed, but the degreaser shit they use may have dried something out that shouldn't have been.

·
3,589 Posts
on my 3rd gen i put grease on the inside of my power steering pump before and it never squeaked again.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Don't bother lubricating it. The sound is most likely coming from inside the compressor. If you want to single out if its the pulley, then remove the belt and spin the pulley by hand. I'm almost certain it wont be because it usually isn't but that doesn't mean it can't happen...due to the fact that your A/C system has been retrofitted to the.....more cheaper A/C refrigerant......problem is, its working the system harder because the system isn't designed to run at perfect efficiency with r134a and probably did not have the necessary precautions taken to last. But! it may be the fact that its old and/or been abused. Such as having the A/C on with full fan speed sitting in traffic on hot days which really overworks the system. You might want a mechanic do it because to remove the compressor you, legally you need a machine to properly evacuate the gas. You can always just take a nail and push in the filler port valve. But let me warn you, do not do this while the car is running. If the engine intake sucks up the refrigerant gases, it comes out the exhaust pipe as a highly poisonous gas and you do not want to inhale. Sorry, back on topic. You'll also need to think about needing a vacuum pump because when all is said and done you need to suck out all air. Problem is, you'll also need an inert gas to pressure test the system. Doing so kills two birds with one stone so listen up. Not only can you leak test your new setup, as you don't want to waste money on filling up the system with refrigerant and find it leaking back out. Also the inert gas, such as nitrogen which should be used will help eliminate water moisture because water mixed with refrigerant makes hydrochloric acid which is bad also. The job is a feat if you've never done it before and may want a mech. to do it for you, although it may cost you a pretty penny.

Problem, it sounds like your compressor is about to blow up which means for any shop to warranty the work, they'll want to..i'm sorry THEY SHOULD! replace any lines with mufflers, receiver/driver and a good A/C flush.

Main cause of A/C reoccurring failure is what they call the Black Death. That is a mixture of metal shavings, dirt, & grime. It gets everywhere and if you just replace the compressor it'll come back just as bad!

Edit: I just wanted to add, if it is the pulley making all the noise then you should feel that it doesn't spin smoothly if you turn it. That would be the bearing and that is fairly easy to replace.

And I would like to also add that some compressors just get noisey over a long time. It doesn't mean its not any good, but it shouldn't make a sound as it doesn't come that way! Just remember this.

I hope I helped.

·
3,589 Posts
you dont have to take the lines off to take the compressor off. just take the compressor off with the lines still attached and try spinning it. it will move pretty freely with the lines still attached.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
you dont have to take the lines off to take the compressor off. just take the compressor off with the lines still attached and try spinning it. it will move pretty freely with the lines still attached.
No i said remove the belt off the pulley. Then spin it. I dont think the compressor on the 4th gen is that difficult to get to.

·
3,589 Posts
No i said remove the belt off the pulley. Then spin it. I dont think the compressor on the 4th gen is that difficult to get to.
but you also said he needs a mechanic to suck the gas out but yea its really easy to get on and off.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
but you also said he needs a mechanic to suck the gas out but yea its really easy to get on and off.
I was going over how the whole job would be done. If he were to get a new compressor......I was not talking about the pulley. Eventhough you usually get a new comp. with a new clutch/pulley assembly.

If you look I broke it down into two separate issues. One addressing bad compressor and one addressing the pulley bearing...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hatedenemy :bowdown:

thanks for taking the time to go through all of that with me.

I'm going to try to take the belt out and see if its the bearing/pulley if its not that then i'll just have a shop do the rest I think beacuse I dont know if i really want to get that involved with it.

If its not that bearing/pulley I'll probably just leave it alone for now until it does die beacuse right now it blows ice cold. the noise is a little annoying but with my radio on i can't even hear it. its only audible outside of the car.

thanks again preludercr for your help as well.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
hatedenemy :bowdown:

thanks for taking the time to go through all of that with me.

I'm going to try to take the belt out and see if its the bearing/pulley if its not that then i'll just have a shop do the rest I think beacuse I dont know if i really want to get that involved with it.

If its not that bearing/pulley I'll probably just leave it alone for now until it does die beacuse right now it blows ice cold. the noise is a little annoying but with my radio on i can't even hear it. its only audible outside of the car.

thanks again preludercr for your help as well.
if it is the bearing then dont go on long trips!!!

the bearing can completely come apart if worn out, which will render your car fucked, unless you have 2 belts, one for accessory items and one for drivetrain but idk

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
So i got a question. If someone was to refill their A/C system themselves does anyone know the correct pressure it needs to be filled to? talking about r134a here

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
So i got a question. If someone was to refill their A/C system themselves does anyone know the correct pressure it needs to be filled to? talking about r134a here
well using the proper gauges and not the pep boys shit you need high pressure and lower pressure gauges

sorry i cant tell you exactly what pressure the lude would be operating at but inkoow that when you got your gauges hooked up and the car running with A/C on on a low fan speed the low pressure side, the needle shouldnt be jumping all around it should be slowly sucking down to a pressure and smothly rising to higher pressure around 50 and then cycle.

but!, my father just told me that hondas dont cycle at pressure they use a thermistor that cycles at a certain temp. a thermistor is a porbe that is stuck in the fins of your evaporator that makes your a/c cycle at certain temps.

lol ima get back to this subject when i sober....im soo drunk atm :devil: LOL

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no updates yet boys its been a good new years weekend lol haven't done much other than drinkin ;)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Well I really need to get an answer to this as well lol central texas heat and humidity isnt fun during the summer and Im not about to pay someone 200 bucks to recharge my ac when all you hafta do is stand there and fill it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts