Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im having hesitation only when my car is warm. cold the car runs great then it loses all torque when its hot.

Things ive done so far...
changed plugs
changed wires
cleaned egr
cleaned intake manifold and throttle body
checked catalytic convertor and flex pipe for restrictions
changed fuel pump
changed fuel filter
inspected fuel pressure regulator (good fuel pressure at idle or when throttle pressed, pressure rises when regulator is disconnected, no leaks)
swapped known good map sensor
swapped known good ignition coil
tested Throttle position sensor (.5v closed 4.5v open)
checked compression (225 on all 4)
adjusted valve clearance

none of that worked so tonight after messing with the coils i checked the resistance of the coolant temperature sensors. the one by the thermostat came up with .4 ohms on the 200 setting. but the sensor in front of the head on the return side could not get any resistance. with the meter on all settings it kept reading 1 which is what the meter always says. i guess this means the sensor is bad? if so could this be causing my problem?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after reading a lot more i think that the sensor on the front of the engine return side is the fan switch. hmmm can someone confirm, this would make sense why theres no CEL for it. and what setting should the multimeter be on 200 or 2000? ive always used them on the lowest setting... if so .4 is out of spec for the other sensor

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Correct on the front switch being for the fan, and I am fairly sure it is for the left side fan, as my car had no changes whatsoever when I removed that switch, and went to the water neck without the hole. I only run the single fan on the 1/2 rad on the right side.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: so today I tried something else. I had ngk iridium plugs. I thought maybe the iridium was too hot causing detonation and upsetting the knock sensor. Changed to ngk platinum. no change in performance.... good guess I suppose lol. Well tonight Im testing any other sensors I can think of. I'm leaning closer to either a new sensor or a p28 ecu

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
so im having hesitation only when my car is warm. cold the car runs great then it loses all torque when its hot.

Things ive done so far...
changed plugs
changed wires
cleaned egr
cleaned intake manifold and throttle body
checked catalytic convertor and flex pipe for restrictions
changed fuel pump
changed fuel filter
inspected fuel pressure regulator (good fuel pressure at idle or when throttle pressed, pressure rises when regulator is disconnected, no leaks)
swapped known good map sensor
swapped known good ignition coil
tested Throttle position sensor (.5v closed 4.5v open)
checked compression (225 on all 4)
adjusted valve clearance

none of that worked so tonight after messing with the coils i checked the resistance of the coolant temperature sensors. the one by the thermostat came up with .4 ohms on the 200 setting. but the sensor in front of the head on the return side could not get any resistance. with the meter on all settings it kept reading 1 which is what the meter always says. i guess this means the sensor is bad? if so could this be causing my problem?
Hi,
I'm having the same issue. Did you replace the other temp sensors with any luck? My 99 prelude starts and runs just fine when it's cold, but as it starts nearing operating temp it stars getting rough untill finally the throttle stutters and hesitates so badly it's undrivable.
So far
Replaced fuel filter
fuel pressure is fine
Did not check for clogged injectors yet.
Removed and completly Dr carbonized the intake, as well as pulling the 7 egr valley plugs and cleaning all channels completly.
Cleaned egr
New tps
Replaced one coolant temp sensor, rear of the head.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Shit/low octane fuel? O2 sensor? Does the engine "stutter" under heavy load or at all throttle inputs/RPMs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts