Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need an answer on what temp our cars normally run at. I know a lot of people say just watch the dash and make sure it’s at half but my vehicle has been as high as 216F and it was just sitting half way instead of it’s normal right below half way. Well problem being was the fans weren’t kicking on so fixed that and threw in an aftermarket digital gauge. Now I’m just curious what temps our cars should normally be. Mine originally had a 170F thermo in it but changed to 180F. It’s normally at 183F but any speeds above 80mph it goes to 190F. Any hard revving city driving and it just sticks on 178F-183F the entire time. Am I just a little paranoid? Is it normal to hit 190F or higher? Trying not to blow a motor lol
Also a side note how annoying it is to have to keep AC off at all times. If I turn that on it’ll be at 188F and the car will have a slight hesitation on gas… Maybe I need a new radiator because if heat is on it’ll drop and stay down at 175ish until heat is turned off. No clue, just curious on what temp numbers should be and any input on my vehicle. Appreciate it!

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
Average 188 degrees f, honestly I can't say the last time my fans kicked on due to the engine temp - just for the A/C.

I am running a dual core radiator, swirl pot, no fan shroud and slim fans. Never had any issues.

Getting over 200 is when you need to worry. Hesitation with a/c on is normal. Yes, you are over thinking it all. The thermostat should open I think at 195.

Reactions: Torbinator

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Average 188 degrees f, honestly I can't say the last time my fans kicked on due to the engine temp - just for the A/C.

I am running a dual core radiator, swirl pot, no fan shroud and slim fans. Never had any issues.

Getting over 200 is when you need to worry. Hesitation with a/c on is normal. Yes, you are over thinking it all. The thermostat should open I think at 195.
Appreciate it! Always worried me just because I didnt want to lose another motor, little did I know its just running normal, heck sometimes cold lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
Torbinator..i have started to have EXACTLY the same "problem" i used the scangauge and saw 216, but interior fan will bring it down to half. .i jumped the exterior fans on full time and it doesnt make any difference. (i noticed they NEVER came on and replaced the main fan because it did not work, im pretty dilligent about checking they work so i think its a recent failure. the tempgauge went all the way to the top, thats now i noticed NO fans worked). now im TOTALLY paranoid at anythig above 1/2 on gauge, but 1/2 seems to be the MINIMUM i see. I have a thermostat coming but imnot super optomistic it will change anything. what auxillery tempgauge did you use ?..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thermostat FAILURE closed. boiled new and old one...not same results...old one did not open seems to stay at 1/2OR below, not above. haven't confirmed thermoswitch, but i unjumped the fans...yolo

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry… Never saw this… Mine really isn’t as bad as I thought. Outside temps lowered to 85F around here in KY the last few days and no I’m always at 178F-181F.

When are you overheating? Stopped? Moving? High speed? Low speed? All the time? When the fans are jumped do they turn on or stay off? Fans are only needed at speeds below 60mph. Above that the air passing by is enough to cool it. Could be water pump failure or radiator. Ever losing coolant? I’d take the cap off and rev it and see if it’s flowing when revved. Atleast that’s how I’ve been taught to see if water pump still works… But never had to test since I’ve replaced one on every vehicle before they go out. I or someone else can help if you give some more info

·
Registered
178 Posts
after new thermo im cool as a cucumber too...NEVER goes over half...just like it always did it think
fans jumped both say on full
no coolant loss
unjumped fans....too lazy to see if its the theromswitch....its cool as a cucumber at the moment.
might put a switch in....cheaper than thermoswitch!!! ....eeesh...cant find a cheap one

whats your temp gauge setup?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Under normal circumstances, the normal operating temperature of the engine is as follows:
1. The normal working temperature of the car engine is between 85-105 degrees.
2. Generally, when the car engine is at the maximum load, that is, when the full throttle is used, the intake air temperature is about 0 to 80 degrees.
3. If it is a supercharged engine, the intake temperature of 80 degrees will appear in summer. During the compression stroke, the temperature will rise to 500-600 degrees. The compression process releases heat to the cylinder walls. After ignition, local peak temperatures can rise to 2000 degrees or more. The average temperature of the exhaust gas is about 800 to 1000 degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts