Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a f20b that came with a internal dist. im having problems with my OEM h22 dist. no spark. my buddy came over today and looked, and the coil is getting power, but still no spark, i didnt have a volt meter handy so it didnt help out to much, but the test light showed it was getting power

tomorrow im either going to go get a MSD coil, but i was wondering if anyone has converted to a internal coil that has the wiring diagram handy

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
Not trying to flame here, but why on earth would you want an internal coil? That doesn't make sense at all, why do you think MSD makes so much money off of selling their modified Honda dist. caps for all the other Honda motors that have internal coils? People realize external coils are much better. Noone is going to have a kit to convert a car that came w/ ext. coil to an int. one. It'd be like having a distributor retrofit kit for a DIS car. External coils stay cooler, can be larger and have more windings, have less EM interference to contend with, last longer, and generally produce more power and predictability. If your ignition system isn't working properly, you should check several factors. If you're sure that the coil is in fact receiving power and a signal, check the coil output. If there is none, just get a new stock coil or a MSD Blaster type or something. If it is producing power (and it's the proper amount), its most likely something with the distributor itself. It could be the wires or plugs, but its highly unlikely that they would cause a complete failure of the ignition system right outta the blue. However, it is a good idea to change them if you're replacing other major components of ur ignition system. Make sure the dist. rotor turns freely and w/o restriction, and make sure its contacts are in good shape. If it is, check the terminals (including coil input) on the cap. You may need to replace this part. Make sure also that your base ignition timing is set properly and your CAS is functioning normally. If none of that works then the problem is likely something w/ ur electrical system. However, I do not see how an internal coil could help fix any problems your having. Unless the problem is caused by the coil itself, this won't help at all. If the problem is the coil, you'd def. wanna keep ur external coil b/c it is a far better setup. If it were me, I'd use this as an excuse to go ahead and get an MSD Blaster SS coilpack, cap and rotor, 8.5mm wires, and new plugs. But unlike many mechanic's shops would like you to think, replacing all the possible culprits of a problem in a system is not proper diagnosis, its just a way to charge you for more parts and install time. Good luck, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well im just trying to figure out something to get my car running. it was just an idea that crossed my mind

if the coil is bad on my motor, would using a MSD, or ACCELL coil or something similar work? do you just run the pos and the neg, to the battery terminal, or ground the neg, and run the pos to a switched power?

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
replacing a coil is pretty easy man, factory plugs would be easier than an MSD or something, but still not very difficult. Unless you're lookin to replace your ignition system i'd just get a stock coil.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
my internal coil just pluged right into the factory harness for the ext coil...?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts