Honda Prelude Forum banner

confused with h22a1 and h22a4

68K views 49 replies 21 participants last post by  dre2day 
#1 ·
Hi guys, i'm really confused. I have just purchased a 97' honda prelude and i found out that the engine is a h22a1. I have searched through google and some sites have said h22a1 is in 97-98 preludes and it is (bb6) and there is another h22a1 for 92-96 prelude vtecs. Please help me here.

#4 ·
it should be pretty much the same thing, it all depends on the condition of the motor, whether it needs a tune up or not, etc...

I think the only H22 that's different than the rest is the Type S and those are in jap cars so I don't think you have anything to worry about

...although that is kinda wierd. It might be a rebuild maybe

#6 ·
oh im sorry, the difference.

the difference is 5hp.. the main difference is.. the older motors, h22a1 has a closed deck, whereas the h22a4 has an open deck.

The mileage, is probably not accurate. You probably have less miles on the engine.

hope this helps.

where are you located?

#8 ·
markprelude said:
from california man, thank you guys, that's pretty odd why the old owner would swap to an older engine though
because its OBDI and not OBDII.. that would be my reasoning for swapping... OBDII causes a lot of restrictions on the engine.

edit: then again, you can always convert from obdII to obdI... he probably blew his motor and found a replacement.

#26 ·
the main diffence from h22a1 and h22a4 is h22a1 is close deck but is a stonger block and it has the manual tensioner for the time belt as to h22a4 is the weaker block. the pistons are coated with some type of cemical so it;s not abrasive to the cylinder walls and has the auto tensioner for the time belt which has fail causing the time belt go loose. best case if u go boost the 92-96 h22a1 is the ideal block. and if ur going all motor get the manual tentioner swap from a later modle h22.hope that gives you mor info about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.