Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any places on the A/C lines where leaks are common? My compressor does not come on anymore. I'm assuming that it worked when I first bought the car. I know the A/C blew cool on a warm day but on hot days it didn't work very well so that's leading me to believe that it's out of R-12 or at least very low.

I'm going to be taking the car to a local mechanic so they can check the pressure and run some dye through it to find the leak.

Can a typical home-mechanic change out an A/C line or is that something a shop should do?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Seals in the compressor, and lines that attach to compressor.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
The seals go bad. Also, the compressor has overcharge valves on it. When the pressure is too great, the valves open to relieve it. Keeps from blowing a line or seal out elsewhere.

My theory is that this overcharge valve can spring a leak. This valve is located on the compressor. After 20 years, things happen.

My `88 S ac worked ok when I started driving it. Eventually, the pressure leaked out. So I replaced every stinkin seal/o-ring and it still leaks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can the typical home-mechanic change out something A/C related like the compressor or a hard line or should a shop do it?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Changing the compressor is simiar job to changing the Alternator, in regards of swapping them out. Its a little bit of a pain to get to, and probably easier from the bottom.

The tricky part is that it is a pressurized system, or was. If yours has already lost its pressure, then I would go for it.

If not, you have want to find a trusted shop, have them evacuate it, you change the compressor (to save bucks) and then take it back to be charged and probably converted, unless you do that yourself also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts