Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got off the interstate and when I was coming to stop it died. This isn't the first time it has done this. Yesterday and the day before it done this. I manage to keep it alive when I let off the brake to give it some gas, but I don't know what the problem might be. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Automatic or manual? Any clutch/transmission noise?

How does your transmission fluid level look? Have you checked the EACV? Any check engine lights?

You're not giving us any information we can use to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad but it's manual. No transmission or clutch noise. Haven't check the trans fluid though. No check engine, nothing to show any signs of problems. What is an EAVC?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Its our version of the IACV - it controls how much air is let in when the throttle is closed.

You'll need to check and clean that out if its full of carbon. Beyond that, I'm betting there's a vacuum leak. What idle speed does it usually settle at? Also, pull the plugs and host a picture to imgur.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automatic or manual? Any clutch/transmission noise?

How does your transmission fluid level look? Have you checked the EACV? Any check engine lights?

You're not giving us any information we can use to help.
I thought it might my tps sensor but I just placed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Except its every stop. I just bought a 4ws 88 lude, for $400. The head was just rebuilt, had to set the valve lash and put everything back together. Everything is on it, except for the air cleaner. As I need to replace the radiator anyways. So im just waiting to buy them both at the same time since I dont plan on driving with a fried radiator. But, when I got it started the first time I did drive it around the block.... couldn't resist lol. Also the car hasn't been on the road in 14 years. (it was garage kept still looks very clean) so basically what im asking is... 1: is there any reason the car would need broken in or anything as its been awhile since its been driven? 2: do you think the air cleaner will help when I get that put on? 3: its also very low on gas, I only put like two gallons in it just to see if it would start. Basically im just asking for a more mechanically inclined opinion on whether or not you think the issue will improve any with a full tank of gas, fuel system treatment & an air cleaner. I bought new spark plugs, belts, gaskets, all the things you would want to replace on doing the rebuild of the head. I got done typing re-read my post and decided I wanted to describe the problem a little more but no back and do it where I already talked about.. (sorry for the long post) But its a 1988 prelude 2.0 Si no duh since its 4ws but im just reinstating. Auto trans, and every time I brake to a stop sign or go to turn a corner, the car stalls. Like I said only drove it around the block once it never failed to stall. But started right back up every time. Any opinions or suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

·
Memento Mori
7,511 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Except its every stop. I just bought a 4ws 88 lude, for $400. The head was just rebuilt, had to set the valve lash and put everything back together. Everything is on it, except for the air cleaner. As I need to replace the radiator anyways. So im just waiting to buy them both at the same time since I dont plan on driving with a fried radiator. But, when I got it started the first time I did drive it around the block.... couldn't resist lol. Also the car hasn't been on the road in 14 years. (it was garage kept still looks very clean) so basically what im asking is... 1: is there any reason the car would need broken in or anything as its been awhile since its been driven? 2: do you think the air cleaner will help when I get that put on? 3: its also very low on gas, I only put like two gallons in it just to see if it would start. Basically im just asking for a more mechanically inclined opinion on whether or not you think the issue will improve any with a full tank of gas, fuel system treatment & an air cleaner. I bought new spark plugs, belts, gaskets, all the things you would want to replace on doing the rebuild of the head. I got done typing re-read my post and decided I wanted to describe the problem a little more but no back and do it where I already talked about.. (sorry for the long post) But its a 1988 prelude 2.0 Si no duh since its 4ws but im just reinstating. Auto trans, and every time I brake to a stop sign or go to turn a corner, the car stalls. Like I said only drove it around the block once it never failed to stall. But started right back up every time. Any opinions or suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Could be something with the auto trans. Try shifting to N just before it would normally stall and see if the problem goes away. If it does I would change the transmission fluid. Doing some maintenance on the solenoids would be a good idea while you are at it as well: http://mustardcat.brinkster.net/p3g/Powertrain/AutoSolenoid/AutoSolenoid.htm

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
have you drained the old gas out of the tank? There is a drain bolt driver's side usdm behind the rear wheel. Have you replaced the fuel filter. The eacv or iacv is easy to take off and clean. It is next to the fuel rail middle front of the intake manifold. The online shop manual can point it out too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
have you drained the old gas out of the tank? There is a drain bolt driver's side usdm behind the rear wheel. Have you replaced the fuel filter. The eacv or iacv is easy to take off and clean. It is next to the fuel rail middle front of the intake manifold. The online shop manual can point it out too.
Yes, today roughly 10 minutes before I work I had a light bulb moment and realized when I put the distributor on I didn't put it on very tight and hadn't messed with it since I got it running duh I know. I was just getting everything to where it wasn't laying around the engine bay so I could put the belts on. Before this I had checked the auto trans fluid it wasn't low or anything. But anyway a little adjustment to the distributor, I got back in the car put it in R just to see if it would bog down to like 100 rpm's like it did last time I had driven it and it only went down to 1,000 even and stayed steady. Now I didn't have time to drive around the block. And get off work pretty late and since I have respect for my neighbors (and it is open headers right now) so I just took that as a good sign. Im going to try and drive it tomorrow. We will wait and see I will be sure to let you guys know either way. This was my first ever experience with the website or any forums really. And so far I'm honestly impressed at how quick you guys replied with suggestions or anything you could do to try and help! I will be sure to refer anyone I know with a prelude to here. And thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yeah if you wanted a car and forum that could tell you or you could learn everything you could possibly want to know about your car for knowledge or fixing it or modifying it you be hard pressed to beat the 3rd gen and preludepower 3rd gen section. This site has been up and running for 14 years and many started the site had already been on another site that died. Glad you remembered that distributor cap and hope that fixed it. If not let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey so distributor adjustment fixed the stalling problem. But, now when the cars gets up to normal operating temp and stays for awhile, like after 10-15 min or so of highway driving. The car begins to hesitate when having a constant pressure on gas or accelerating at all really? When its cold it is completely fine. Drove it long enough to experience for the first time last night. Just driving to the gas station and back it acts and drives perfect. Only when it gets warm does it start to hesitate or cut in and out... Any ideas? I'm thinking dirty fuel injectors, clogged fuel filter or something a long those lines. Maybe a tps sensor or something??? But would that really only change when the car gets warm?? Please help, love driving it on the highway, love driving it period just dont want to have any problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts