Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, can anyone suggest to me which colder spark plugs to use? preferbly ngk or denso,ive searched and found all different numbers, im confused as to which to use, i have a h22a1 turbo,hondata s300 stock internals and low boosting 6-7psi and currently using stock specs iridium plugs..i will be having the car tuned again and want colder plugs prior to tuning, thanks

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If I was you i'd go with NGk...never been impressed with Bosch...just my opinion though.

I'm currently using ngk zfr7f-11 on my supercharged lude running 9psi which are 1 step colder. might wanna ask a turbo guy though...don't know if you need to use even cooler ones with a turbo or not.

here is a helpful site when choosing plugs http://tech.mirage-performance.com/sparkplugs.html

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ alright thanks alot, great info on the link you provided.. yeah my tuner told me to get either ngk 5585(zfr6j-11) or 4091(r5671a-7)-i think this one is universal, to avoid the zig-zag lines on the dyno sheet..but i may just get the ngk zfr7f-11, isnt that the same spec numbers for h22a1 except for the heat range?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You want to go with an iridium plug. Get the NGK bkr7eix. Thats what i run and its what motto will tell you to get.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Run an NGK plug as well. Part number 2660. It's one of their race plugs, and come pre gapped at .028

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ngk-bkr7e @ 0.028"
Get the iridiums man. Those 7e's foul really quick. Mine took like 3k miles before i noticed i was getting missfire at idle. Switched to the iridium bkr7eix and it has run much smoother now. But then again this is an built h22 vs. a f22.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
ngk bkr7e's are the standard v-power copper tip. using them with boost usually requires them to be re-gapped every 1k-2k miles for consistent running conditions, and replaced every 3k-6k miles because you can only re-gap them once or twice before they are just plain cooked.
ngk bkr7eix are the irridium plugs. they are 100k mile plugs in n/a motors, no joke. with boost, they'll last anywhere from 15k-50k miles, all depending on how often you beat the snot out of the car. but no matter how many miles you put on them, you NEVER have to re-gap them

spend the extra money, get the irridiums. ngk part number: bkr-7eix

i have 9k miles of extremely frequent and heavy street and track abuse on my bkr7eix's, and they still are like brand new with the same gap they had when they actually were brand new, and perform 100% like they did when brand new. i even bought a new set not too long ago to have as a spare set in case i ever needed em for some stupid reason, and i installed them for a day to see if there was any difference at all to the used plugs and there was absolutely zero difference. so they came out and the used plugs went back in. i'm expecting at least another 10k miles out of them, if i even put that many miles on them before rebuilding the motor haha

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
thanks steve :Rock:

ordered some iridiums just now. i have had a coupla random misfires that i been wondering about too.
I got 10 bucks on whoever tuned your car either installed or recommended you the 7e's.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
yea, it was Chris Harris of Xenocron, one of the best tuners in the nation. he put the 7e's in when she was on the dyno.
Its cause they perform great when they are fresh and make great numbers but they dont last. Most of the big number tuners use them. Thats how it went for me too. Dave Blundell from TPR cincy tuned my car. He helped write eCtune so we'll just say i got a great deal on it.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
most tuners will reccommend the base copper plugs for the tuning session because they are cheap and disposable.
and to display in a mathematical sense we can say this about them compared to irridiums:
when in great condition, copper tip plugs will make 100% power potential, but after 2k miles or so they will drop down to 90% power or so, then at 3k and after they will start dropping quite quickly from there to the point where the car breaks up and misfires horribly. keeping the car in the 80%-100% power range requires changing the plugs at every oil change.
with irridium plugs, they will perform at about 95% power potential for the first couple thousand miles, then will drop to about 90% power potential, but they will stay right there at the 90% mark for thousands and thousands of miles. anywhere from 20k-50k miles.

make sense?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts