Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm betting this is a common problem, especially for the Eastern folks.
For the past week or so my '89 Prelude takes 4 or 5 times starting up before it stays running. The first few times, it starts but only runs for 1 or 2 seconds. Once it keeps running there are no more problems the rest of the day. Then next morning, same thing.
Gotta be some electrical device. Igniter?
:hmmmm2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
833 Posts
Try turning the key to the second click and wait a few seconds--then do this one or two more times. This primes the engine and if you listen, you should be able to hear the fuel pump.

I'm in VA and this time 'o year it's at or below freezing at night. I got this tip from Jason (EagleEyez) and do it every time I cold start my 3gp. It's helped the engine turnover much quicker every time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Get your batt. checked and your alt.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
also is your motor a carb or fuel injection

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have you checked your main relay?
Replaced as new 2 years ago. That's the one under the dash on left side, right?
Are you keeping your foot off the gas pedal ? Throttle body FI engines do not have a CHOKE. The throttle plate acts as a choke so keep your foot off the pedal.
I never press the gas when starting
Try turning the key to the second click and wait a few seconds--then do this one or two more times. This primes the engine and if you listen, you should be able to hear the fuel pump.

I'm in VA and this time 'o year it's at or below freezing at night. I got this tip from Jason (EagleEyez) and do it every time I cold start my 3gp. It's helped the engine turnover much quicker every time.

Good luck.
Have to give that a try :tee:
Get your batt. checked and your alt.
New battery earlier this year. Cranking is NOT a problem
also is your motor a carb or fuel injection
SI, fuel injected, the only way to go

1 - 13 of 13 Posts