Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it started happening a few weeks ago, when the car is cold and just setting off if i give anything close to 1/2 throttle the clutch slips in gear and i can basically rev the engine up and down. but after driving for a bit it goes away and in some instances ive been able to give it full throttle and it seems fine. i would think it would be the opposite, that it would slip more as you keep driving. if i baby my car it doesnt slip at all, and considering i just paid 3800 to get it fixed i am in no financial means to buy a new clutch. is it possible that something else could slip, maybe the flywheel is worn? i dont know much about transmission work.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Check to see if your clutch pedal is adjusted properly first, that's a good start.

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
Yeah, adjust the clutch pedal. You probably have way too much free play and it's not engaging completely most of the time

·
the 'lude makes me poor.
2,421 Posts
Yes, adjust the clutch pedal first; but if that doesn't do it I'd wonder if the crank seal is leaking oil onto our clutch disk. It's just a guess, but I'd figure if it did leak onto the clutch disk it would of coarse slip, and then after driving for a while you'd burn it off and it would grab until enough oil leak onto it again.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Do the simple things first, maybe clutch fluid is low/contaminated. A flush never hurts. The rear main seal wouldnt leak onto the clutch disc, thrers a drain on the lower flywheel cover for that very reason. Put up the parking brake hard, put it in 4th and rev it up3-4k, let out the clutch pedal...if stalls than the clutch is grabbing just fine. What work did you just have done? No noises or anyting?

·
the 'lude makes me poor.
2,421 Posts
The rear main seal wouldnt leak onto the clutch disc, thrers a drain on the lower flywheel cover for that very reason.
Really? make sense, but I remember a few threads where people said it happened to them, and a few more threads where people suggested that that might be the problem.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Its possible to get some sling, but it would have to be a horrible leak. It would have to make its way all the way around the flywheel. Since it happens when the car is cold, read: oil is thicker, I doubt its b/c of a leak. If it slipped a bit after some highway driving than maybe. Its got to be fluid or master or slave going out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts