Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 88 prelude 4ws kicking around that starts, but the clutch is always pressed in and stays 'floored'- cant get the car moving. The french guy that sold it to me said something about 'get a mechanic to drop it in' but I didn't really understand. Any help?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sounds like a master slave cylendar or maybe just need to bleed the lines if you just put it in and have you check the resirvoir

EDIT that is if it is a hydraulic clutch and not a cable

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
the answer is simple, theres a problem somewhere in the clutch system. trouble shoot the clutch system, and fix anything you find wrong.

-master cylinder
-slave cylinder
-lines
-fluid
-air in fluid
-clutch itsself

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
look up under your dash above the gas pedal that is where your master is....you wil see a drip or some fluild on it and on the floor means your master is shot and it woudlnt hurt to replace the slave also

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
your clutch slave cylinder is probably dead...not an uncommon occurance.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
just redo the whol thing, in my experience if found our clutch hydraulics to be very unreliable, if the rest of the car is good, get a braided clutch line made and get a new slave and master cyl and it wont leave you stranded for the next ten years!
good luck man

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
another huge reason these older clutch hoses and systems fail is because people push the pedal down and hold it there for way too long. this mainly happens when people are at stop lights,they have the car in first with the clutch held down waiting for the light to turn green. all that does is slowly stretch out the hoses.....this is more of a personal opinion than a fact!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
ive come across this on my car several times (1990 3rd gen with a B20A4) but only if i havn't driven it for a month or more, my master cylinder ( whole system in fact) is all gunked up with really old fluid and the seals are nearly shot, i find that if i hook my toe under the pedal and pull it up and down once or twice it works perfectly until i neglect it again! i know that's not classed as fixing the problem but it's worked ok so far!!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
before you go buy anything check to make sure theres fluid in the system. lol. i had this same probblem and thats all it was, i had a leak in the system that i never noticed until i had this problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts