Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I hope some of you can help me!
Well the problem is this:
When I press the clutch pedal, its soft until like 2 inches from the bottom of the floor, but its not enough pedal to can make the gear.
So I cant make the gears!!

I know someone here knows where is the bolt to adjust the clutch, so my question is this:
What things do I have to remove to access the adjustment bolt?, the air filter I guess I must remove it isnt it? What else?
Now the sky is falling, lots of rain, but when the rain stop I will take a photo to ilustrate the thread...

Thanks in advantage!!!!!!!!! :pumpkin::smilejap:

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
The only real adjustment for the clutch is for the pedal height/travel, it doesn't adjust the clutch itself. That is controlled by hydraulics.
That adjustment is on the back of the pedal, in the footwell.
But this doesn't just go out of adjustment on it's own. So either you've had it incorrectly adjusted for some time, you've recently done something to take it out of adjustment, or the problem is the not the pedal travel/height.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only that way! It doesnt go any shorter, do I have to push the pedal or something while screwing? Thank you very much!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Some facts:

The pedal its really soft until like 2 inches from the bottom, there I feel the resistance but its not enough to disengage

With the engine ON, none of the shifts enter, all by equal difficulty

If I start the engine with a gear in, lets say in 1st gear, it starts to move forward, I can change gears only with the engine OFF

Yesterday I used the car, with no problems, just a LITTLE difficulty to change gears, very little. No sleepy shifting or anything of that kind

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All right, I took a bunch of photos, I know is an ''easy fix'', but I will put my experience with pictures, since I didnt found any tutorial for our 3rd gens.
I weight 100 kilos, and not of fat ass, I bench press 205 kilos, so Im a big guy, with few movility, so I had to remove the front seat.
_STEP 1: REMOVE FRONT SEAT.
To do that, you must remove the plastic covers that covers the bolts, with a flat screwdriver they pop up easily. Then remove the bolts, and disconect the conector under the seat. Very easy.

_STEP 2: Remove this thing, I dont know how to call it since I dont speak english very well:

For remove this is as simple as give form to the steel wire for it to go out throw the hole of the screw.

_STEP 3: Unscrew the nut of the cable to put it in the position you think it must go, depending on if you want the pedal longer or shorter. Goes well with a 12mm wrench

_STEP 4: unscrew or screw (depending on what youre looking for) the cable extreme, its easy, while you unscrey or screw, hold the nut and when you arrive the final position screw the nut to put the two together. Then just put the screw with the steel wire again.

Remember that it must have some softness in the beginin of the pedal push.

Hope this serves to anyone, Im really sorry about my english! It sucks I know!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If you haven't changed anything latly, my guess is you have a worn out the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder. You basically have NO CLUTCH right now. Time to practice your clutchless shifting...on your way to get new parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kBULLS, I went to drive a while ago with no problems...I mean, it shifts perfectly, even better than before, I guess in the next days will fail if somethings broken right?

Thanks everybody

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
You can see in the first picture that you have (or have had) a leak from the master cylinder.
Also the adjuster is not a stock item, it has been welded to.

If I were you I'd be getting a new master cylinder and fitting it as that one won't last by the looks of it.
You may have fixed it for now but only by making pedal adjustments.

Did this work OK before?
How long has it been giving you problems?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was from a day to another that I start having issues, Ive made this fix and for now its working.
So thats the master cylinder, ok, now I understand what Kbulls means. So if keeps leaking, I will continue with problems...
I will keep driving it til have issues again...

I really apreciate the help!

·
Memento Mori
7,511 Posts
This is what that yoke is supposed to look like:

I'm not sure that lengthened yoke will work with a new master cylinder correctly.

I would start acquiring the parts you need now because that master cylinder stands on the precipice of total failure. I would look over the rest of the system too because who knows what else may be bodged.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is what that yoke is supposed to look like:

I'm not sure that lengthened yoke will work with a new master cylinder correctly.

I would start acquiring the parts you need now because that master cylinder stands on the precipice of total failure. I would look over the rest of the system too because who knows what else may be bodged.
Hello MustardCat, nice image you post, Ive just bought on rockauto.com the master cilinder, thank you very much!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the new master cylinder slave just arrived, I will install it with some pictures!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts