Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay first of all I am new to posting on this forum but I am not new to Preludes Ive had mine for about 3 years - great car! Just yesterday I finished doing my timing belt, replacing seals and doing a valve adjustment. I drove it to work today and I noticed a rattle only when taking off from a dead stop up slight incline I heard before doing the timing belt has now gotten worse. I know it is unrelated to the timing belt and engine internals. I believe it is a motor or transmission mount because when i turned a few corners today I could hear a clunk and upon backing into my driveway a relatively loud POP! I also noticed shifting feels kinda notchy and it didn't feel that way before and yes the clutch fluid level is fine. Lastly I think I may I put more stress on the motor mounts because of removing the front driver side mount and supporting the engine from underneath yet I still dropped the motor down some a few times. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
241 Posts
A simple inspection of your motor mounts should yield some results... Are they cracked? Leaking fluid? (I think its the mount on the timing side that is fluid filled.)

If they look healthy then make sure all the bolts attaching them to the frame and to the block are tight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A simple inspection of your motor mounts should yield some results... Are they cracked? Leaking fluid? (I think its the mount on the timing side that is fluid filled.)

If they look healthy then make sure all the bolts attaching them to the frame and to the block are tight.
Thank you so much I will look into that as soon as I can, I do believe the timing side mount may have a crack in it, although it seemed quite solid but I'll inspect all of them and go from there. I have a suspicion its the sneaky rear mount?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thank you so much I will look into that as soon as I can, I do believe the timing side mount may have a crack in it, although it seemed quite solid but I'll inspect all of them and go from there. I have a suspicion its the sneaky rear mount?
The rear mount seems like it has the greatest effect as far as making noises and clunking. I know I had a bolt that had come slightly loose on it once, and it was enough to cause it to make a loud clunk every time I stopped or accelerated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear mount seems like it has the greatest effect as far as making noises and clunking. I know I had a bolt that had come slightly loose on it once, and it was enough to cause it to make a loud clunk every time I stopped or accelerated.
I think that makes sense and yeah Im getting clunking occasionally from stopping and starting and clunks when im turning or a loud pop. Im going to look at all the motor mounts tomorrow and also have a shop I know put it on a lift and inspect my suspension to see if I could have a bad ball joint, control arm, or bad tie rod.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think that makes sense and yeah Im getting clunking occasionally from stopping and starting and clunks when im turning or a loud pop. Im going to look at all the motor mounts tomorrow and also have a shop I know put it on a lift and inspect my suspension to see if I could have a bad ball joint, control arm, or bad tie rod.
The possibilities are endless! hahaha! The joys of older cars. Having access to a lift they should definitely be able to sort out where the noise is coming from though, Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts