Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright! I'm super pumped for this build!

This Prelude was last owned by Blamo. He introduced me to Preludes and this was the very first one I ever rode in. I owned a 93 Si several years ago, and more recently a super minty 96 VTEC that I regret selling. Time for the third and final Prelude.

My first Prelude:

My second Prelude:

For past history, here is Blamo's build thread: http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324122

My goal for the vehicle remains simple: a cleanly styled, fun to drive, well balanced street car.

Overall, I want to keep it in line with what Blamo had going. Naturally aspirated engine, fun JDM parts, and great looks. Now I know with this next sentence, I'll be hitting a nerve with some people, but please keep in mind this is my car. I'll be converting to RHD via firewall swap.

So here's how the Prelude sits as of right now. I'm traveling to Arkansas in a few weeks to transport it to my home in Kentucky. I'll update this thread regularly with pictures as progress moves along. I don't have an exact timeline or deadline for the car to be "finished," but I'd like to have it moving under its own power by the end of August.

Any comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome, but please be respectful! The purpose of this thread is simply to show off the work I complete.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Looking forward to the build! RHD in Kentucky should be pretty different.

Have you got any specific plans in mind or you just going to tinker?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been planning this build out in my head for probably ten years, so some things have gotten pretty specific. Others I have an idea for, but will probably change once I actually start working on that part of the car.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Whats your plans for this car? Ten years of planning must have allowwd you tocome up with a greatplan of action.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up the hauler for the Prelude this weekend. It's getting freshened up and some new tires this week. A friend who is lending me his trailer is installing an electric winch this week to ease the loading of the Prelude.

I'm getting super excited! I've got my garage cleared out and my tools ready to start tearing into this thing.

For the next few months, time is on my side. My fiancée is out of state for field work, so when I'm home from work, it's full-on Prelude time!

Whats your plans for this car? Ten years of planning must have allowwd you tocome up with a greatplan of action.
I've definitely had plenty of time to plan things out. I'll share some details. The rest you'll just have to watch for as time goes on!

This car originally came with grey cloth interior. I'll convert it to black cloth, in a way. Black carpet and floormats, recovering the rear seats with black cloth, same for the side panels front and rear. Front seats will be Recaros, black with red stitching.

The vehicle will keep the auto climate control, as the front clip has a full dash. Radio will be a simple Alpine single-DIN CD unit. With the front clip, the EL gauge cluster will be KM/H. I'll swap in the internals and faces from a US gauge cluster to make driving it in the US easier. I'm still debating on if I'll convert the gauges to blue, like I did with my silver Prelude.

I also want to replace the headliner with a factory 4g one, wrapped black, as well as the pillar covers. Never understood why Honda made everything grey.

Blamo has the exterior set up pretty much how I would have it. I'll whip up a new set of retrofitted headlights with a factory bi-xenon projector. Otherwise, little will change. The 5th gen sawblades will get some fresh rubber, more than likely a set of super sticky summer tires.

The engine Blamo built will be the heart of this build. Some sort of LSD transmission will be paired with it. This I will have to experiment with. I want this car to be ideal for carving up some of Kentucky's backroads, but still be useable to drive to work on nice days. Overall power is not a goal. I want good useable power, but I don't need maximum that the engine will provide. A good balance is key.

I hope that kind of gives a light overview. If I typed up every detail that's going to go into this car, it'd take some of the fun away from the thread.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The first real update! I'll tell this one with pictures. Enjoy!

A friend accompanied me to Arkansas to pick up the Prelude. We left on Friday at about 6pm and drove all night. This is where our adventure begins!

On the way out, Blamo calls me and informs me that his wife's 93 Accord has broken down. Good thing I have a trailer! So we load it up and haul her home!

On the way home and about a block from Blamo's house, I stop, ask how we want to unload. Then I start to roll forward and notice a loud pop and jolt from the trailer. We duplicate it a few times and determine we have a brake or wheel bearing problem.

Fast forward a couple of hours and we find the drum brakes have come apart on one wheel and were locking it up. Easy fix, once we know what we're doing!

Next we pack the Prelude and Suburban full of parts and an engine, then start the loading process.

Blamo discovered the frog that was "helping" him work on the Prelude a few years ago. RIP Crusty Frog.

Ready to go! (Finally!!)

I could get used to this.

We had a twelve hour drive ahead of us and I found some amazing rest area bathroom artwork!

What a beautiful carving!

After 36+ hours of being awake, 1500 miles, 13mpg (not too shabby!), and 14 red bulls, she's finally home.

Tomorrow she gets a bath before being pushed into the operating room!

Edit:

Bath achieved!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts