Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
all you have to do is rip a peice out of the factory airbox...

anyway dont have pics cause im toolazy to take them, but ill show you a drawing...

hmmmmmmm, cam out really small, try and save it and zoom in, anyway my a3 roars now

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Ha i did the same thing to my 86 prelude i swear it really made a differece too

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heres a better pic, "YES! YOURE THE MAN LUDA" (thanks for backin me up)

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Old trick used on the 2nd Gens.
And on a dyno it shows how much gain?
Yep, none.

·
Registered
750 Posts
i took my entire air box right off. ive been running for a year withou an air filter, but it doesnt matter cause im putting my FI b20a in. The engine got so much louder when i did that, it sounded sweet. i noticed it puicked up alot better as well. I dont suggest doing this though, unless your going to do an engine swap soon.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Makes extra noise though!

That little peice serves two functions, #1 is to protect the air filter from anything coming down the intake, if a rock or something along those lines was sucked up and that peice wasn't there it could punch a hole in the air filter, and allow unfiltered air into the motor, a very very bad thing.
#2 is to act like all the extra black plastic stuff on the FI motor, and damp the intake noise to make for a quieter car.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Yeah i did that to mine a while ago (when the fucker still ran) and I didn't really notice anything. Didn't even sound different.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes put a cai on you a3, i think i have the nicest aftermarket intake of anyone here(for the a3)... later

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Bobnova said:
Makes extra noise though!
:emthup:
Running those dual carbs with just a simple gauze filter makes then sound extremely nice up top.
Had to rejet the carbs to make it worthwhile though, and tbh I doubt these guys are going to do that properly if at all.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Rejetting the 3g prelude carbs is, as far as i can tell, a tricky business, i'd be surprised if most people could pull it off.

My shop refuses to work on them, too strange/complicated compared to the carbs my boss is familiar with, and i'm a person of the FI age, so i'm no use on oddball carbs like those either :p

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BlackPrelude86 said:
wont the air filter be loose if that part is rip off?
uuuh, how many people still use the stock filter... (yes, even on the a3), if you need an intake go spend 8$ at home depot.. or i may be getting rid of my old one soon.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Bobnova said:
Rejetting the 3g prelude carbs is, as far as i can tell, a tricky business, i'd be surprised if most people could pull it off.

My shop refuses to work on them, too strange/complicated compared to the carbs my boss is familiar with, and i'm a person of the FI age, so i'm no use on oddball carbs like those either :p
I've always ben a carb man myself (until recently) and even I thought long and hard about rejetting them.
Very tricky as they have multiple mains and an accelerator jet.
But an extremely effective way to get it right throughout the rev range.

It's a shame really as like you say, most people won't/can't do it so how many engines are goingto be killed by running very weak when used hard?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts