Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replaced the altenator a couple months ago, on new years the battery light comes on the dash and the car dies on me, i bought a new battery and the light was still comming up moments later on and off and the batt was still dying. my altenator was under warranty so i took it back and got an exchange cuz they tested it and said it was bad. so now i have a new battery and new altenator and the terminals are brand new, the car will turn on after jump starting but it seams that the alternator's charging power is very weak, its doing the same thing as the last altenator except the the batt light doesnt come on and im on the verge of giving up!! any ideas?:Oo:

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Just because you got a new one under warranty doesn't mean that the new one isn't faulty as well.

I'd go somewhere to get the battery and alternator tested on the car. (well I wouldn't I'd do it myself but you get the idea)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ima pull out the altenator and try switchin it again, if its stillthe same way ima pour gasoline over mycar and light it up
:bsflag:

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Start your car up and drive it to napa or autozone or car quest, etc...they can test the entire charging system while the car is running, and diagnose what is wrong. Most places don't charge for this service.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Let us know how the new stuff tests out. Electrical problems can be most annoying, but troubleshooting the Prelude isn't as bad as some other cars I have worked on.

(Had a Nissan that we took to a shop it was so jacked up, and after $600 in diagnostics it was still unknown as to why it was acting screwey. It eventually set itself on fire while parked for the night one New Years. I don't miss it tho.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
altinator

i replaced the altenator a couple months ago, on new years the battery light comes on the dash and the car dies on me, i bought a new battery and the light was still comming up moments later on and off and the batt was still dying. my altenator was under warranty so i took it back and got an exchange cuz they tested it and said it was bad. so now i have a new battery and new altenator and the terminals are brand new, the car will turn on after jump starting but it seams that the alternator's charging power is very weak, its doing the same thing as the last altenator except the the batt light doesnt come on and im on the verge of giving up!! any ideas?:Oo:

first check how much power you are using if ur using thre quarters of the charging power i wont charge the batery fully. then i sugest getting a higher output altinator.,

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
It annoys me when people post threads and they can't speak normal english. OK well maybe they can speak ENG but they are just too lazy to press the , key or use a . .

Prelude-power is becoming polluted with this and it confuses people. I've seen posts that were 10+ lines long without a single period or intended mark or separation. It's a chore to decipher what they say, so a lot of really good help is lost like this.

Dano is respected here and he could probably explain you how to adjust a dual-side-draft carb to cope with below freezing weather. Then explain some equation for heat expansion in high-nickel steel and how it affects the aluminum paint coating at 700*F. He could make rocket science of your car and mince meat of your brain. Don't throw him or us through grammar loops please.

At least use grammar for respect to the people who might can help you. It's easier on us all.

·
Registered
449 Posts
A cold idle, with the alternator functioning correctly should show a bit over 14v in the system. If it's only around 12v then the alternator is not charging correctly and you're running off battery only. Also, what makes you think the "charging power is very weak"?

After you jump start it, and leave the radio or whatever running, does the car die shortly afterwards?

I've seen people exchange 3 different alternators and all of them have been faulty in some way, a lot of places leave them out in the weather, drop them etc. And it's not uncommon to get 2 faulty alternators in a row.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It annoys me when people post threads and they can't speak normal english. OK well maybe they can speak ENG but they are just too lazy to press the , key or use a . .

Prelude-power is becoming polluted with this and it confuses people. I've seen posts that were 10+ lines long without a single period or intended mark or separation. It's a chore to decipher what they say, so a lot of really good help is lost like this.

Dano is respected here and he could probably explain you how to adjust a dual-side-draft carb to cope with below freezing weather. Then explain some equation for heat expansion in high-nickel steel and how it affects the aluminum paint coating at 700*F. He could make rocket science of your car and mince meat of your brain. Don't throw him or us through grammar loops please.

At least use grammar for respect to the people who might can help you. It's easier on us all.

Ok well im not sure, but i think that was a stab at me. Sorry for the lack of grammar, or ENG but sometimes when i visit at night to check and look for a few, im in the dark so i will try to put a light on more often. also ur missing a few words in you're sentences as well.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
A cold idle, with the alternator functioning correctly should show a bit over 14v in the system. If it's only around 12v then the alternator is not charging correctly and you're running off battery only. Also, what makes you think the "charging power is very weak"?

After you jump start it, and leave the radio or whatever running, does the car die shortly afterwards?

I've seen people exchange 3 different alternators and all of them have been faulty in some way, a lot of places leave them out in the weather, drop them etc. And it's not uncommon to get 2 faulty alternators in a row.
after working in an auto parts store for 5 years, i can vouch for this. also since the prelude is not a hot car, lot of the stuff on the shelfs gets mishandled to make room for a more popular or common vehicle.

·
Registered
758 Posts
hmm ur serpentine belt wouldnt happen to be slipping would it, i mean that would have to be alot of facking slippage but just throwing that out there

·
Registered
196 Posts
it set itself on fire while parked?
wtf? lol
Yep. Off, parked, not running, etc. Some bad wiring or something, started on fire. Kinda sucked, but could have been worse. Wife could have been driving it at the time, kid could have been in it, etc. (I did tell her not to buy the POS in the first place, but we were fighting at the time, so she wasn't listening. It also had C/V issues and god knows what else wrong with it.)

Back on topic, I wonder if Da_Ludester is coming back or not to let us know how his alternator testing went.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts