Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Thanks to my project lude the gearbox swap and numerous other tasks I had to perform on her I feel I have enough mechanical knowledge to tackle changing my brake pads ^_^ I read the shop manual, it seems pretty damn easy lol.

Just a quick question, I see you are meant to put some kinda grease/lube on the pad shims, I bought some generic grease from Super Cheap Auto which can be used for CV joints and anything really, would this be alright for the back of the pad shims?

Anything else I should know before doing this job? :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Use the grease on the caliper slides and edges of pads where they sit in saddle bracket. Disc brake quiet usually works best for the shim area.. Has a nice sticky content to glue the pad to the caliper and keep it off the rotor when not being used.... Other wise. Have fun

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
I'm not sure what the Kiwi auto stores stock, but, we merkins can get little packets of "caliper grease". This is a synthetic heat resistant grease. That would be the best for the slider pins and the back of the pads.

When you press in the piston with your C clamp, leave the old pad in place and bear against it instead of the piston itself. This will help to push the piston squarely into the bore.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I'd worry about using general grease on the sliders. Depending how hot that stuff is rated for, it might smoke/decompose away. For the pad shims, use anti-squeal. It's basically a rubberized compound.

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great advice guys! :] I shall goto the shop and get some of the proper lube then :]

Is there anything else I can/should do like greasing anything or something easy while ive got the wheel off?

Cheers!

·
12,918 Posts
dano said:
Ummm...errrr I said OLD pad.

:tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2:
umm errr i didnt see that old man
:mrgreen:

While you're there.. might as well check if the rotors have any rust on em and clean em up good.

Check if you don't happen to have a spring broken in pieces at the same time :lol:

haha actually just check if theres any brake oil anywhere in the back.. i got a bit on one side in front.. but nothing drastic. Just check your brake oil level often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts