Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changing my axles

Ok my axles are so bad now i can barely shift gears or drive my lude any more! i am gonna be changing them soon i don't want to spend a lot of money fixing this problem, my question is will the accord axles off the 94/95 model accords fit my prelude the reason being is because i can have two axles for about 100 dollars and my labor... thanks a lot and any helpful tips would helpp!!!!

·
Back 2 Hackin
4,375 Posts
How did you come to the conclusion that you not being able to shift gears or drive your car much is due to your axels?

Shifting your gears has very little to do with axels.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sounds more like you clutch or syncros.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i thot it would be the axles because it dont move right and starts shaking everytime i shift gears! it dont get the power it should at all and it so hard to shift and i dont know what it could be i need help ?? anyone??

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ok my axles are so bad now i can barely shift gears or drive my lude any more! i am gonna be changing them soon i don't want to spend a lot of money fixing this problem, my question is will the accord axles off the 94/95 model accords fit my prelude the reason being is because i can have two axles for about 100 dollars and my labor... thanks a lot and any helpful tips would helpp!!!!
I agree with the other posts the axles have little to do with the shifting, but to answer your question, I don't know if the length would be right and your drivers side axle is different on preludes and accords. Accord inners are male while preludes are female so the intermediate shaft is different also.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with the other posts the axles have little to do with the shifting, but to answer your question, I don't know if the length would be right and your drivers side axle is different on preludes and accords. Accord inners are male while preludes are female so the intermediate shaft is different also.
thanks but i have no idea whats causing this problem, it still drives and goes but i dont wanna function right at all

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
yeah that happend to me if its shaking violenty its the axles ...if u get off the gas when ur driving strait it and goes away its the axle..

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
^i second that... happened to me in my red lude... it sucks

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
does it click when you turn as well? If it clicks as well that is a sure sign the axles are fubar'd.

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
since no one answered your question, no you cant use the accord axles because the half shaft on an accord is female on one end and male on the other and the prelude half shafts are male on both ends.

unless you get an accord half shaft then you could use the accord axles.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
yep^^and u dotn hear the axle click when there that bad ....when ti shakes its 3000x worse then clicking noise lol

·
Registered
289 Posts
syncros? whats that?
I don't think I have the spelling right, but I meant the synchronizers. I forgot the "h" last time. It was what allows the gears to reach a common speed when shifting. Usually they are made from brass, as it wears faster and smoother than steel. They can a hell to replace, 1,000 times worse on a Get-Rag transmission from a Supra TT.
But axles are so much easier to replace than the synchronizers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think I have the spelling right, but I meant the synchronizers. I forgot the "h" last time. It was what allows the gears to reach a common speed when shifting. Usually they are made from brass, as it wears faster and smoother than steel. They can a hell to replace, 1,000 times worse on a Get-Rag transmission from a Supra TT.
But axles are so much easier to replace than the synchronizers.

its not that i dont think it lets me shift and most of the time it shifts perfect except for when i reline the shit out of it so yeah its the axles the car feels like its gonna flip over when i drive it and today i got a great deal on axles both for 120 (new) and dudes about to sell me some rims for 200 brand new tires rims less then 2 months old show ya pics when i get them next Thursday, also how hard is it to change the axles from one to ten thanks alot guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts