Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok soo i changed the tranny.. first time.. my original tranny lasted me up to 189K miles.. =) whoo ohh.. thats good maintence.. ;) Motor still runs strong too =D

Well now my questions is.. How much Automatic tranny fluid does this thing take? on a normal tranny fluid change it takes like 3.3 Quarts or sumthing like that..

Well i already added 4 quarts.. and it seems like it has alot to go?!

Is it because the torque convetor is dry? i called my local mechanic he said it should take any where from 7-7.5 quarts! Which seems very odd.. but convinceing just about now.:butbut:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
At first I was going to say: "HELL YEAH!!! 5SPD SWAP FOR THE WIN!!!!" But then read on :(

Anyways, Helms says that you need:
US qts.
2.6 qts when you change it
6.4 qts when you "overhaul" (which likely means COMPLETELY drain and refill)

Its no surprise that you need more fluid in there. Keep it pouring! Your right the torque converter is FULL of ATF. Ever wonder where the term "slushie" comes from? ;)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
it's normal for a new trans to take 7 quarts because when you do a drain and fill it only removes 3 quarts and leaves about 3-4 quarts of dirty fluid in the system...

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Daaaamn, the tranny takes that much fluid? I hope the 5spd doesn't take that much, cause I think I only added about 2-2.5 qts when I filled it up and thought that was too much. I'm going to pour more in tomorrow then. I've been driving around like this for months

·
Registered
641 Posts
Make sure the engine is NOT running, you are on level ground and the car is at normal operating temp. Having the engine running gives false readings, and will make you think the fluid is low when it is not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts