Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...im just wondering how easy is to swap a VIN from one car to another.

heres the scenario:

I have two ludes, number one is in great condition, but i dont have the papers to it, and i have a lude number two, which right now is not running, but all the papers are fine.

how easy is to swap the vin codes from the lude number two, to lude number one?

how many vin codes are ther on our cars?

- The Drivers Side door
- the dash
- inside the engine compartment, on the firewall.

am i missing one? how easy can this be done?

its just a matter of cutting and welding, or does it take more that than to erase more VIN codes from the cars?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
basically just cutting and welding, yeah.
but it would be better just to swap everything.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yes it is and is an overall shady question no matter who you are. Just swap everything or go through propper channels of dmv/local court office/ and state patrol. Yes its a pain in the ass but if it is found that its not stolen you can get a new vin for the car.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
lol. at least you arent like.. leaving a paper trail to get caught. Like.. typing about doing it on a forum.

Do it once right, make the clean one legal.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
just throwin that out there i think thats illegal as hell
yes it is and is an overall shady question no matter who you are. Just swap everything or go through propper channels of dmv/local court office/ and state patrol. Yes its a pain in the ass but if it is found that its not stolen you can get a new vin for the car.
i was thinking the same thing as both of you, but didnt wanna state the obvious. lol

·
8====D ---> ( | ) = win
1,663 Posts
:fbi lurk:

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
yup, definitely illegal, worth a couple years in jail actually when you get caught, which you would almost definitely within 2 years whether you still have the car at that point or not

·
Registered
561 Posts
DONT DO IT. Just go threw the proper way through DMV, it shouldnt cost a whole lot and you wont go to jail for it.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
while i won't suggest on a public forum that i've got any experience in such matters, i'm going to advise you not to do it.

do the leg work to make the good car legal, or do the arm work to make the legal car good.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I agree with, "it's illegal".

On the other hand, are the cars the same color? That would be a dead give away unless you could prove that you had it painted.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
haha this thread is crazy... I had this thought once. just go through the motions to get it done the legal way. That would take alot of work to make it not look cut and welded

·
Registered
739 Posts
Why cut and weld? The VIN plates are riveted on, so why not drill them out and rerivet the plate back on? Not say that I would do it but that seems easier than cuting the panel and welding it back on.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
because if the vins dont match, then youre sure to get caught a lot quicker.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
Although I might actually consider this in certain situations, this isn't one of them. If you have the ability to get the title for the first car, do that.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts