Honda Prelude Forum banner

Which cf trunk style would work best for you?

• 88-89 with spoiler

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 88-89 without spoiler

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 90-91 with spoiler

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 90-91 without spoiler

Votes: 5 50.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm trying to gather enough interest for a fabricator to make the cf trunk for our cars. The farthest I can get with the fabricator is "bring me 10 people then we can talk numbers". So I would like to see how many people would actually go for this. This won't be cheap but you're looking at a guestimate of $600-$800. Since our cars technically have 4 options (88-89 with/without spoiler, and 90-91 with/without spoiler), I would need 10 people for which ever option for it to be presentable. As of right now, the "H" badge is being considered to be useable since a plain "H" emblem will not work for our trunk. They won't take a total of 10. They need 10 of which ever option . Also consider if you do go with spoiler option, you will have a mismatched spoiler until you can get someone to make 1 out of carbon fiber. Once I get the needed numbers I can present them with it and get a cost for down payment and total cost with shipping. You will be paying directly to the fabricator. I have been told that they will not be charging for the mold. So who wants in?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'd doubt people would be in for this as our trunks don't weigh that much anyways. For looks, yeah it would be awesome, $600-800, that's pricey. I have the same effect and I only paid $27 for my CF wrap.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Even if you did get interest there is no reason to offer 4 options.
The with/without spoiler is a mute point as it's just some holes to be drilled, not worth cutting your chances down for that..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Even if you did get interest there is no reason to offer 4 options.
The with/without spoiler is a mute point as it's just some holes to be drilled, not worth cutting your chances down for that..
^^^^ I second this. I think both the 88-89, and the 90-91 should be made, but made in the "no spoiler" fashion, then templates can be printed for spoiler fitment. Especially since the 88-89 had at least 2, and 90-91's had at least 3 different OE spoilers that I have seen.

The price is steep, but this is due to the limited run, the more you make the lower the price per unit. It would also cost more with the complexity of a spoiler. Would you own the rights to the molds, or would your manufacturer? This will affect the price. If this takes off, what about optional reduced spring tension torsion bars for the trunk so it doesn't slam open and cause unwanted stress at the hinge mounts on the lid? Would the lids be made in a "badge-less" fashion, or would they come with the holes for emblem placement? I think they should come "badge-less" with fitment templates. Not only will this clean up the back of the car for those who want it, it may also reduce price per unit as there is no labor to cut the holes.

If you have even a small work space I can walk you through making your own molds and product for far less than that estimated price leaving more money in your pocket, and reducing price to increase sales. I did this kind of work for many years and I can offer free advice from mold setup, easy/cheap mold modifications for one-off mods or error corrections, PVA application, what type of laminating resins to use at what point in the process, and more if you have interest in doing this yourself.

That being said, let me reiterate that if the price was more competitive with trunk lids for other Honda cars, I think the community would most benefit from both the pre and post face lift lids without spoilers and badges.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. I have no problem paying someone for a 1 off if no one is interested. I just figure there would be some enthusiasts who would be willing get in on this. I have a restaurant to run 7 days a week so making my own mold is out of the question. I do agree with making it without spoiler and easily can easily cut a hole. I'll only be keeping this post for another week or 2 because I want to be able to have a quick response for yes I do have 10 people or no.

·
Registered
954 Posts
As far as the spring tension torsion bars will be something I'll be figuring out for myself. I had noticed that when I switched trunk lids from with spoiler to without and it shoots open whenever I pop the trunk. Lol
You maybe know this already, but there are 2 settings for the torsion spring; one for 'with spoiler' and one for 'without spoiler'. If you look under the rear parcel shelf you will see 2 different locations for the spring to clip into.

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/PreludeManual/62sf100/14-54.pdf

As for a CF lid opening too quickly, I would think you could use something like a motorcycle steering damper to sort that out.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
You maybe know this already, but there are 2 settings for the torsion spring; one for 'with spoiler' and one for 'without spoiler'. If you look under the rear parcel shelf you will see 2 different locations for the spring to clip into.
Unfortunately I think if your car came oem with spoiler neither of those settings stop it from acting like it's an overexcited trebuchet.
I know none of mine have been good in either setting.

There are two springs though, maybe remove one of them.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Unfortunately I think if your car came oem with spoiler neither of those settings stop it from acting like it's an overexcited trebuchet.
I know none of mine have been good in either setting.

There are two springs though, maybe remove one of them.
Well, live and learn, I always thought that was what the 2 settings were for.

I have the opposite problem on Blue Lude; I had it resprayed and the guy has put so much paint on that even the strongest setting won't lift the boot lid.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Shirley you have enough 3Gs there to swap and change a few springs around and get the perfect combination. ;-)

When I took the spoiler off USLude I decided to move the springs to stop it trying to smash through the rear glass.... then found out they were already on their weakest settings!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Shirley you have enough 3Gs there to swap and change a few springs around and get the perfect combination. ;-)

When I took the spoiler off USLude I decided to move the springs to stop it trying to smash through the rear glass.... then found out they were already on their weakest settings!
I'll have a play and see if I can find some springs that are a bit more pokey. Clumsy as I am though, I'll probably injure myself in the process :)

And don't call me Shirley. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts