Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I took this center tail off of a junked lude. My plan is to open it up, secure an led strip behind the PRELUDE and then wire it up to light up with the brakes.

Firstly, I need to know how to open it. It has an epoxy-like glue everywhere. Behind the clips, around the edges. How can I remove this glue to open the tail?

Secondly, which wires will I need to tap to light up with the brake lights? Is there a way to have it passively lit with all the lights on, then brighten after the brakes are pressed? (I'm not good with wiring) Would resistors work?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
You should try a search on here. It's been done and written about many times.

·
Registered
252 Posts
warm up the glue with a heat gun (or blow dryer) and pry it open.

·
Registered
954 Posts

...Is there a way to have it passively lit with all the lights on, then brighten after the brakes are pressed?...
Easiest method that comes to mind is to use 2 rows of LED's; one tapped into your tail lights and a second tapped into your brake lights.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
But it's just as easy to use one set of LEDs and a resistor set-up for the tail/brake brightness. ;-)

·
Registered
954 Posts
But it's just as easy to use one set of LEDs and a resistor set-up for the tail/brake brightness. ;-)
Probably look better too. I was just trying to come up with a solution that required no electrical knowledge beyond finding the correct wire in the tail-light cluster.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Probably look better too. I was just trying to come up with a solution that required no electrical knowledge beyond finding the correct wire in the tail-light cluster.
Work to the lowest common denominator ;-)

I was trying to encourage a search as well. All the wiring etc has been done here in quite some detail. Anyone that spends more than 5 seconds thinking about a reply in this thread should read the old stuff. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts