Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:sleepy:
for around a month now my CEL has been on...
i checked it...
it was a P0420....
so i went back to the place that put my new cat on..
we hooked it up and it read that the rear o2 sensor wasn't moving..
the numbers were flat...
so i changed that 2 days ago...
15 miles after i put it on...
CEL...
i checked it and its a P0420...
...ggggrrrrr...
ima go back monday and see if the new o2 is working correctly...
if it is..
they are SOOOO replacing my cat...
just thought i would rant.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
use a honda cat. and I bet the problem will be solved...as most of not all aftermarket cats. will not run clean enough to keep the CEL off without help from a fouler or O2 simulator.

·
Registered
294 Posts
yea replace to 02 sensor or sensors depending on whats bad with honda 02 sensors and replace your cat with a honda cat. clear the CEL and clear your ecu by taking out the negative battery cable for like 10mins and your problem should be solved. i had the same crap when i had my 6th gen accord.....been there done that wasted my money.....

·
Registered
641 Posts
Make sure you got an OBDII compliant cat. The standards are more strict for OBDII then OBDI.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha come on now guys...
im am NOT going to shell out 500 for a oem cat...
nor am i going to spend 500 for both o2 sensors....
i spent 60 on each o2...
and i got the cat replaced for free.......
codes gone....
...for now....

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
haha come on now guys...
im am NOT going to shell out 500 for a oem cat...
nor am i going to spend 500 for both o2 sensors....
i spent 60 on each o2...
and i got the cat replaced for free.......
codes gone....
...for now....

theres a reason the OEM cat. is so expensive it's because it's has precious metal in there and made to last... at our shop on 98+ cars we only use OEM cats for the same exact reason that code will come up again and again. there might be a aftermarket one out there that the light doesn't come right away but it will a few years down the line... thats why for my own cars use OEM SULEV cat. have new flanges put on the car and the readings are lower then when the car was new!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
theres a reason the OEM cat. is so expensive it's because it's has precious metal in there and made to last... at our shop on 98+ cars we only use OEM cats for the same exact reason that code will come up again and again. there might be a aftermarket one out there that the light doesn't come right away but it will a few years down the line... thats why for my own cars use OEM SULEV cat. have new flanges put on the car and the readings are lower then when the car was new!
"it's has precious metal in there"????
cast iron?
i thought they were all made of this..
oh yea...
it's because they are.
and the code is gone...
and i have 500 extra dollars to spend...
hmmmm i'm thinking hookers and beer...:p

·
Registered
472 Posts
"it's has precious metal in there"????
cast iron?
i thought they were all made of this..
oh yea...
it's because they are.
and the code is gone...
and i have 500 extra dollars to spend...
hmmmm i'm thinking hookers and beer...:p
HAHAHA cast iron????? and yeah they do actually have precious metal in there, its called platinum...:eek: its worth more than gold son :burn:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know i know...
but i would rather save the money...
do you see the half a grand difference?
its a fucking cat...
as long as the codes gone...
call it a day.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Actually it's porcelain. Or most of them are.Either way I always use oem ones.
Actually your both right ;) Its porcelain with end(s) dipped into platinum. (thank you "how its made" :D )

An OEM one might be more expensive, but it works properly. Might stop going on after some driving.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Actually your both right ;) Its porcelain with end(s) dipped into platinum. (thank you "how its made" :D )

An OEM one might be more expensive, but it works properly. Might stop going on after some driving.
LoL! That's funny, I love how it's made. I did not know they were dipped into platinum.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
dont bother so much with the spark plug non fouler trick with a 5th gen, unless you get one that has a 90 degree angle brazed in, otherwise use a simulator

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
i know i know...
but i would rather save the money...
do you see the half a grand difference?
its a fucking cat...
as long as the codes gone...
call it a day.
not if you get a used one from a parting out post but then again I was lucky to have one out of a 99SH with only 2,953 miles on it :wink: and but I lost the motor :mad: because the salesman sold it from under me and I ended up with a 99 base with 34k on it.... these cat. are worth $100 as scrap! or like the 91-95 legends they are like $300 to the core guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts