Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, on any kind of acceleration during a right turn, I get vibration. :wzbigcry:

It doesn't vibrate turning left, or deceleration/maintaining speed turning to the right. And the harder I accelerate, the worse it is (I came around a corner this morning hard testing the tires and it was BAD! The tires hooked very nicely but the vibration is crazy when I accelerated out of the corner!)

I did just swap the inner joint of the axle on the driver side and this vibration wasn't there (or at least not like this) before the new axle. The axle has just less than 1/4 inch of play in it (Place Racings instructions list minimum a 1/4" to a maximum of 1" of play only). I took apart the lower ball joint and lower shock fork in addition to removing the midshaft.

The new axle has no play in it (the old one did) when grabbing on the middle bar and rotating it around.

Also, the other side has the same amount of free play in it too (inside out kind of play...not rotating play).

But, I think my driver side shock is blown and it might be the bearing as the dust cover has been off for a year and a half now. (when I push down on the front of both sides, the driver side doesn't bounce but the passenger side does a bit though it's the driver side that bottoms out around corners especially on left turns!)

What I plan to check:
  • Axle rotating play on both sides
  • Shock condition on both sides
  • All bolts that I messed with during the driver side axle swap
  • Visual check of the driver side bearing (how do you check the bearings?)

Can someone help me brainstorm some possible causes and what else to look for to cause a vibration like this (acceleration on right turns)?

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,349 Posts
This exact thing happened to me. It was the worst shit. I found out that the reason behind the vibration was that the driver's side axle hadn't been pushed into the intermediate shaft all the way. Yeah, it was retarded. My friend at school must have done it during the rebuild, 'cause I don't remember doing it. He's the kind of guy who goes as fast as he can just to get the job done without really making sure it's been done properly.

The problem happened in a right hand corner, so I assumed it was a problem with the passenger side axle. I replaced it and it did the same thing still. Fuck. Man I felt stupid when I checked the other side and found what I found. This probably isn't what's going on with your car, but it happened to me for some reason.

I'd double check everything 'cause it might be something simple like it was in my situation.

--J

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like since it was not all the way in, it was causing binding like mine...

I'm hoping that if I shave some material off one end of the shaft that I'd get some extra play...hoping that it's the shaft limiting things and not the tripod inside the joint.

·
4,349 Posts
Yeah. It was binding, I believe. It was really horrible. It felt as though the more I turned the wheel, the closer the joint came to exploding. Oh yeah! That happened to me as well. I'm not sure why, but it could very well have been the same reason my car was misbehaving during right hand turns. I was turning left in a cul-de-sac and was all the way at left lock. All of a sudden, BOOM! The outboard joint on the driver's side axle blew up. Grease went everywhere. Fuck. We had to push the car back to school (we were road-testing the car right after rebuilding the engine. At first we thought the engine blew up 'cause we fucked something up, but it turned out to be the axle. Thank the fuck Christ!). That was bogus. Needless to say, I got a new axle for free. I'm not sure why that happened. When the new axle was just out a little bit before I pushed it in all the way, it felt as though it might do something bad. Good thing I found out what I did before something bad actually happened...

What kind of axles do you have in your car, just out of curiosity? I wonder if they're just not getting along with your intermediate shaft/diff...

--J

·
Registered
734 Posts
he has custom rigged axles for the h22 sitting in that beast...

Jason,

I do agree after thinking about it a while.... When you turn the wheel you change the length of how far the actual axle is from the transmission on the passenger side and on the driverside its the same idea..... That axle will pull out of the CV joints some and go in some... When you turn the wheel its going to force the axle into the inner CV.... If the play isnt there, it will bind... This has been the idea for a while, but I actually sat back and thought about it for a while... If you have less than 1/4" of play, your in trouble as my 4th gen has at least 3/4" play minimum while turned straight.. I looked at an axle sitting out in the yard for where the damage was... Never way up in there.... Maybe grinding wheel time on the ends of the actual axle?:devil:

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JTCdudeman said:
Maybe grinding wheel time on the ends of the actual axle?:devil:
yeah, I'm just hoping that it's the end of the axle past the tripod that's binding the inside end of the join and not the tripod itself maxed out.

You got a grinding wheel or have access to one? I'd like to fix this asap! ;) Need it before the dragon trip or my fun will be severly limited as I can't power out of a right hand corner! :( :wzbigcry: :eek:mg:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Tim has one and ive got 3 or 4 available to me from work to southern poly's machine shop... Ive also got an angle grinder, which might work quite nicely...

I also hope your right.. But, if you've looked at the axle, its a long ways up the axle until you get to the "tripod" part... Hell, we can cut the splines farther in even to run it shorter if need be...

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
JTCdudeman said:
Tim has one and ive got 3 or 4 available to me from work to southern poly's machine shop... Ive also got an angle grinder, which might work quite nicely...

I also hope your right.. But, if you've looked at the axle, its a long ways up the axle until you get to the "tripod" part... Hell, we can cut the splines farther in even to run it shorter if need be...
You going to school today? I'm off and can pull it if you can get to it today.

I know the axle extends past the tripod but I wonder if the grooves for the tripod bearings go all the way back into the join...

I'm going to pull it today regardless. If you are going to school today and can shave this thing, let me know. Call me (though I can get on line in the garage)...

EDIT (Auto-Merged double post)
Well, after taking the inner join apart yet again, I found at least 20 little metal peices (like 1mm round and 5mm long) inside the join (could be more...didn't bother to count!). But looking at the whole assembly, I couldn't find anything wrong other than the C-clip had come off the end of the axle. Any ideas on where they came from?

But the end of the axle is at least 1/2" away from the inside of the join. The bearing/tripod assembly will not let the axle sit any further in so it's not the problem (the shaft of the axle is not binding/hitting the inside of the join).

Not sure what else to do, the mid shaft on the h22 is different from the 3rd gens. The midshaft has a male piece that goes into the inner join of the axle (where 3rd gens are the other way around). If I remember correctly, I don't think the old inner axle has as much of a lip on the mid-shaft side of the inner join as this one. Maybe that took up the slack the last one had...and unfortunately the bearing assembly was different else I would have just swapped the bearings out and probably not had this issue.

Any ideas? Think I can shave that lip down some instead?

·
Registered
47 Posts
sounds like my car, but mine only does it when i'm coming to a light, and a stop sign, not when im turning a corner or accelerating. Can this be an axel issues, because it knocks to shit when i turn corners?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
We went thru 3-4 axles, always went back to the same thing...vibration on accel, and the noise. Input bearings since we owned it have always had a little noise, yesterday before the Tranny went the noise was worse and when it engaged it kinda clunked in instead of going into gear easily. Be leary and look to see if anything in the Tranny is going out also....

·
4,349 Posts
91Pr3ludeSR said:
sounds like my car, but mine only does it when i'm coming to a light, and a stop sign, not when im turning a corner or accelerating. Can this be an axel issues, because it knocks to shit when i turn corners?
I guess it could be an axle thing. I'd be suspicious of your inboard joints. The inboard joints allow for suspension travel while the outboard joints allow for steering movement.

I'd check over the whole area, but in particular the joint that goes directly into the intermediate shaft and on the other side, the joint that goes directly into the diff.

Do you have stock suspension? If you do, it would make sense that your car would dive more while you're braking, so the inboard joints would have to allow for more travel. It might not be an axle problem at all. It could very well be a suspension thing. It's worth getting under there and checking everything out regardless. Good luck with the problem. Hopefully it will have been something stupid and easy like mine.

--J

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update:

Did some mods to the axle and tripod to supposedly let the axle fit a bit better. Is it enough? We'll find out in a day or two as I haven't put it back together yet. Hopefully!

I shaved off part of the axle shaft (about 3/16" or so) and shaved part of the tripod to let it sit lower :shock: (about 1/8 at most...).

·
4,349 Posts
Nice. Hopefully that'll do it. If it doesn't, what are you going to try next? Or will it be time to rip out all your hair and snap?

--J

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Import_Tuna said:
Nice. Hopefully that'll do it. If it doesn't, what are you going to try next? Or will it be time to rip out all your hair and snap?

--J
Well, I'm already bald and I don't typically snap. I'll just be forced to be kind on right turns until I can afford custom axles...

·
4,349 Posts
Ha ha. Yeah, that's what I had to do when my car was misbehaving. Go easy on right turns, I mean...

--J

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I put it all together last night and took her for a ride and all vibrations are gone. I guess it could have been the axle being a bit too long or it's also possible that the mixture of different greases (a no no from what I read) or the old bearing remains (the little 1mm round by ~5mm tall inner pieces) in the grease/boot somehow causing it to vibrate.

As mentioned, I shaved the inner part of the axle beam about 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch and also shaved one side of the tripod down (at most 1/8 in...probably just a hair less). I also removed all grease and bearing remains and used new grease and put it all back together...

I got the pack of CV grease from Autozone for 1.99 though 2 packs wouldn't be a bad idea. Lube up the bearings and all points that will move inside the join and then put the rest of the grease inside join and boot...

·
4,349 Posts
That's awesome. You must have been so excited when you realized it wasn't fuckin' you in the ass anymore. I know I was. It's a good feeling.

--J

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, felt good to know that I'm ready to go on the Dragon trip...just have to worry about it raining on me but it looks like only Fri night if at all. Have to make sure my tent is waterproof! :lol:

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bad shock or worn out bushings comes to mind quickly. Do a visual inspection back there for warn bushings and blown shocks.

Nice ride. INX or custom front end? Upload some pics to your garage if you have the time! ;) :emthup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.