Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Ludimus Catacus
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah...so it's happening; finally ridding my Prelude of the SS Autotragic transmission. I will begin gathering parts in May and once I get everything I need to do the swap, I will assemble a team and we will knock it out.

Before I begin on this epic journey, I just wanted to run a few things by you guys just to make sure I'm on the right track. If you don't want to read lots, skip to the bottom for the abridged version.

First off, I want an LSD. I figure I will probably want one eventually, so I might as well throw one in there while I have the tranny out. It seems like there are three main options for that right now: Quaife (hehe queef), MFactory, and Wavetrac. Seems like Quaife has kind of gone downhill as far as customer service goes. And I've had trouble finding info on Wavetrac, though it seems like people like them. I also can't really decide if I would need the Wavetrac. MFactory seems to be pretty legit. People on H-T like them a lot and they are fairly cheap. Any input there would be helpful.

Second thing is changing out the synchros. This kind of goes along with the LSD since I will have to tear into the transmission anyway. I figured I would go with carbon synchros. Any input there? Also, anyone have any opinions on Synchrotech vs Gear Speed vs MFactory?

Third, clutch and flywheel. I will most likely be putting on a few "power mods" (I/H/E etc), but nothing too crazy. So I was thinking I would go with an ACT Chromoly 12lb flywheel and Exedy Stage 1 clutch. Those should maintain driveability while being an improvement over stock, correct?

Fourth, sourcing a transmission. I will obviously look at local junkyards, but I have NEVER seen a Prelude in a junkyard here. However, there may be some Accords, but finding a manual will be a trick. Failing that, where are some good places to get transmission? I have looked at Honda Motors Online, but their selection of F/H series trannies seems to be somewhat limited. Any other legit places? eBay seems to be sketchy, is it?

Fifth, sourcing other parts. Is eBay acceptable for clutches and flywheels? Would it be best to get other parts from either Majestic, junkyards, or other members?

Sixth thing is figuring out what transmission I want. I have been looking at Kronn's chart. ;-) I guess this really comes down to personal preference, but any input would be appreciated.

So in summary:

1. LSD. Any opinions on Quaife vs. MFactory vs. Wavetrac? Right now I am leaning towards MFactory.
  2. Synchros. Any opinions on carbon vs. OEM? Synchrotech vs. Gear Speed vs. MFactory?
  3. ACT Chromoly 12lb + Exedy Stage 1 sound good?
  4. Getting a transmission. Any legit online suppliers besides Honda Motors Online? Is eBay sketchy?
  5. Getting other parts. Is eBay OK for a clutch and flywheel? Majestic, junkyards or other members for everything else?
  6. Input on what transmission to get?
I'm sure I will have more questions along the way and I will continue to search and read over the other 5spd swap threads. :)

I am super excited to get started on this. Can't really say when it will happen, but I will certainly keep everyone updated. I plan on doing other fun stuff to my car this summer, so there should be lots of exciting things going on.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
I'd decide what trans you want before looking at LSD options. if you really want an LSD, to be honest your best bet is to buy a trans with a factory LSD. As to whether carbon synchros are better? I'd say so. Are they worth the cost/time/effort of rebuilding an already good trans? probably not.

As far as what trans to get. I loved my M2F4 (USDM 4th gen trans) which had some sort of LSD installed in it. Pulled HARD. That said, 5th gear was waaaay too short and my gas mileage was terrible.

I'm going with a non-LSD JDM trans this time around, same ratios for 1-3rd, but slightly longer 4th and 5th. (m2Y4 iirc)

As for the ebay clutch and flywheel I bought an XTD stage 3 and 8lb flywheel from ebay seller aimcoclutch. The only issue i had with it is that the pilot bearing for the flywheel went out and destroyed the clutch. I'm still not 100% sure it was the parts fault though as I did learn to drive stick on a stage 3 clutch and probably wasn't very gentle to it. I bought another clutch and they replaced the pilot bearing free of charge. I've been using it for about 6-7 months now since I replaced it and it still grabs hard. Even after repeated launches. I've never had an ACT or Exedy but i'm assuming they hold up better. That said $200 for a clutch and flywheel isn't too bad. Especially if you're just learning to drive stick and plan on destroying it in a year anyway.

See if that flywheel you're getting uses a pilot bearing or the factory pilot bushing. I'm assuming the bushing is much more durable.

One other thing. No matter what you do here as far as trans choice, clutch and flywheel, etc. You're still getting a MASSIVE upgrade. You won't even believe that you're driving the same car. It's absolutley rediculous.

·
Ludimus Catacus
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the chances of me finding a tranny with an OEM LSD are pretty slim, so that's why I was looking into aftermarket options. I also don't know how I feel about viscous LSDs.

I was hoping to find a tranny with a good balance between acceleration and fuel economy. But again this is limited by what transmission I can actually find.

As far as replacing the synchros, obviously it will be a decent amount of work, but I will be doing it all myself and I kind of want the experience. Plus, I will really have no idea what condition the tranny is in unless I open it up. Better safe than sorry.

And yeah, I've heard that about the swap. I can't WAIT to feel the difference.

Thanks for the post, psud3ity!

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Well the chances of me finding a tranny with an OEM LSD are pretty slim, so that's why I was looking into aftermarket options. I also don't know how I feel about viscous LSDs.

I was hoping to find a tranny with a good balance between acceleration and fuel economy. But again this is limited by what transmission I can actually find.

As far as replacing the synchros, obviously it will be a decent amount of work, but I will be doing it all myself and I kind of want the experience. Plus, I will really have no idea what condition the tranny is in unless I open it up. Better safe than sorry.

And yeah, I've heard that about the swap. I can't WAIT to feel the difference.

Thanks for the post, psud3ity!
hmotors can get you an OEM LSD.

I personally believe all transmissions are constructed by satan himself. I refuse to open one. They're strange and mysterious to me. That said. The M2F4 accelerates like a bat out of hell and is very common, but for long highway drives at 80mph i'm at 4000RPMs. The JDM 4th Gen transmissions have a bit longer gear for 4th and 5th. Which is what i'm getting with my swap. No LSD, but it doesnt sound like that would be a problem for you. Hmotors has them in stock right now as well.

Honestly with how low mileage JDM transmissions are, I'd say just go buy a 4th gen LSD transmission and toss it in. You're not gonna have a bad synchro until many many more miles past what hmotors advertises thier motors/transmissions as having. I'd take an if it ain't broke don't fix it approach to that.

The fact is with a 5 speed swap eventually you're going to want to control the costs. A carbon synchro set from gearspeed costs around $400 last I checked. You could buy a whole nother used transmission for that, or put that money towards new motor mounts or maybe even a nice Hondata s300. Swapping from automatic is not a cheap undertaking at all... but it's well worth it. Considering you'll more than likley have the transmission out to change the clutch at some point, I'd say save the carbon coated goodness for that point when you actually need it.

·
Ludimus Catacus
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carbon synchros are about $275. And having the transmission out to change a clutch and having one sitting in my room for months are two different things haha. If the transmission is just going to be sitting there, I might as well make it perfect before I put it in.

I do want to control cost and not just buy stuff I don't need. But I feel like if I spend some money now (when I have it), I won't have to worry about stuff breaking on me down the road.

Do you have a link to the hmotors tranmission? I can only find an M2A4on their site.

I appreciate the input, psud3ity.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Carbon synchros are about $275. And having the transmission out to change a clutch and having one sitting in my room for months are two different things haha. If the transmission is just going to be sitting there, I might as well make it perfect before I put it in.

I do want to control cost and not just buy stuff I don't need. But I feel like if I spend some money now (when I have it), I won't have to worry about stuff breaking on me down the road.

Do you have a link to the hmotors tranmission? I can only find an M2A4on their site.

I appreciate the input, psud3ity.
The M2A4 is a JDM 4th gen trans non LSD, a perfect canidate for what you're planning. As far as LSD stuff, they don't have any in stock (backordered is what they told me when I ordered my motor/trans). Give them a call, very easy to work with. They'll be able to let you know what they're getting in. Since you've got time, the backorder shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you got the money for a t2w4 Hmotors has one. I am also going to do the 5spd swap soon. I got a M2B4 tranny which has a factory lsd and a stage two clutch with a light weight flywheel for $200 from my cousin. I can relate on finding junkyards with our ludes, went to 5 local junkyards and none of them had any ludes.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
If you got the money for a t2w4 Hmotors has one. I am also going to do the 5spd swap soon. I got a M2B4 tranny which has a factory lsd and a stage two clutch with a light weight flywheel for $200 from my cousin. I can relate on finding junkyards with our ludes, went to 5 local junkyards and none of them had any ludes.
A week ago when I ordered my motor they didn't have one.

·
Ludimus Catacus
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would also enjoy have a T2W4, but the issue is finding one and finding one cheap. From what I've seen they go for $1-1.5k which is over half my swap budget...

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
I would also enjoy have a T2W4, but the issue is finding one and finding one cheap. From what I've seen they go for $1-1.5k which is over half my swap budget...
In which case an M2A4 with an aftermarket LSD sounds great!

Take plenty of pics of the LSD install. I'd like to do one someday.

·
Ludimus Catacus
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In which case an M2A4 with an aftermarket LSD sounds great!

Take plenty of pics of the LSD install. I'd like to do one someday.
Yup. :) I will definitely take lots of pictures of the whole process.

·
Sky's out, thighs out
7,826 Posts
Can't really help you much but please, please, please do a write up on the lsd install. That would be a great resource to have.

·
Ludimus Catacus
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I can do that. If I end up doing that and the synchros, I will just combine that into one writeup. There are a few out there on H-T and one i Blake's build thread. But none of them are complete.

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
If you're still looking for a transmission, check www.car-parts.com

Great resource for quickly locating what you need in local(participating) junk yards. I do have some 5-speed swap parts that are going to be coming off of my car for my engine+transmission swap, so LMK if you have trouble finding things locally.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Yeah, I can do that. If I end up doing that and the synchros, I will just combine that into one writeup. There are a few out there on H-T and one i Blake's build thread. But none of them are complete.
I sense your reputation growing if you manage to do a full transmission rebuild writeup.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts