Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My carbon fiber hood has some sun damage and is beginning to crack. I know that local shops can fix this, but I have a background with fiberglass and bodywork and I could repair it. I just don't know the procedures for wetsanding the hood and then clear coating it again. Anyone have any expirence with this sort of problem.

·
bangin' gears
15,676 Posts
a reclear will only help if its just the clearcoat cracking. If the weeve is cracking, there is no use in trying to reclear it.....trust me, i know.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, that is what I have been told. But luckly for me it is just the clear coat that is cracking.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is just to answer my own question or to help anyone else that has had this problem. You can wetsand the top layer of the gel coat off if you are very careful. I started with 1500 grit and dry sanded it. Then I went back and wetsanded the hood using 2000 grit. I had access to bodyworking tools so this took no time at all. After I sanded the finish I went through with some 3m rubbing compound and buffed the whole hood. The hood is crystal clear now and looks brand knew. If you have a VIS hood that is a couple of years old like mine is you cannot use wax or finishing compund or Scratch X because since it is a gel coat it will absorb the wax materials and just cause it to haze over worse.I did not put a clearcoat on the hood because it looked so good after I was done that I was afraid to apply it to the gelcoat. If anyone is interested in knowing the exact process then PM me and I will list the materials I used and a step by step process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts