Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i get a call from my dad the other day and he tells me that he wrecked my car after i repeatedly told him not to drive it.:angry: Well he hits someone from behind smashing my carbon fiber hood, one headlight is shattered, the other headlight is fine just the clip that goes on the radiator support is broken, radiator support and radiator are bent back but the motor mounts look fine, and my fiberglass spyder front bumper is smashed to bits. My question is what can i do about the hood? Is it repairable or not and if it is who do i send it to? In all its about 3 G's worth of damage but the insurance company is paying for it. One more question, would the insurance company put back the carbon fiber hood and spyder bumper or will they most likely put oem parts on it?

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
The insurance company will not cover anything that is aftermarket.. you will most likely just get a new OEM bumper, hood, etc.

Sorry to hear that though, I'd be pissed.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
ludespeed501 said:
The insurance company will not cover anything that is aftermarket.. you will most likely just get a new OEM bumper, hood, etc.

Sorry to hear that though, I'd be pissed.
all state will. i know for sure. penn something will, b/c the guy that rearended me, it was fixed to the exact parts i had.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oh i forgot to mention that the car is still financed. i got it about 5 months ago and it had the complete spyder/black widow body kit, 18" icw rims with nitto nt 555, vis racing oem carbon fiber hood and and aem intake. We got insurance with state farm and i used to work at the body shop where im having it worked on so the manager hooked me up. He said that they might just write him out a check and buy all the parts online. Ill post pics tomorrow its dark right now

what do i do with the old cf hood?

·
Registered
784 Posts
yeah if you didnt report to your insurance company that your ridin parts they wont put them back on.

·
Registered
935 Posts
sucks about the accident. But hey, you have the opportunity to get an OEM front bumper again...dont miss this opportunity. :hehe: j/p dude.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
can you show some pics of the hood??? like the top and especially the underside of it. thats the only way to really tell is to see at least a pic

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
i dont know what states u guys are from but in pa the insurance isnt the one putting the parts back on, an adjuster comes out and looks at the car, the body shop pretty much tells him how much its gonna be, and then the insurance company sends u out a check for the amount of the damage, doesnt matter the parts, specially if its not ur fault (it is in ur casre, sorry man) but yeah its up to u what u wana do with the check, you dont even have to get the car fixed if u dont want to, or u can spend the check on the same parts u have

·
Registered
441 Posts
if you can proove that you bought the items (receipts..etc) the insurance company will pay for em.

(My friend with had a Black Si.. he was away for a week and somebody stole his oem rims.. he went to the insurance company showed em' a picture of his car with some volk's(photoshop).. insurance company purchased him new volk's and tires.. around $3,000 back in 2002 :X) so good luck :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
kyx said:
if you can proove that you bought the items (receipts..etc) the insurance company will pay for em.

(My friend with had a Black Si.. he was away for a week and somebody stole his oem rims.. he went to the insurance company showed em' a picture of his car with some volk's(photoshop).. insurance company purchased him new volk's and tires.. around $3,000 back in 2002 :X) so good luck :D
Hahaha, people go to jail for that crap. The guy's lucky for not getting caught.

·
Registered
427 Posts
well im not sure how true this is but my boy just crashed hiw EVO and he's replace the front end with aftermarket part through a performance shop, all he has to do is show the insurance company a bill or some sort of evidence saying it was fixed. correct me if im wrong, thats just what i heard from my friend.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
remind me never to let my parents drive my lude

·
Registered
343 Posts
to answer the question, dont even consider fixing the hood. the way carbon fiber is, once you crack it its done for. to fix it they would have to rewrap the hood, and then you would have to worry about even light flexing cracking through the top layer. super expensive too. good CF isnt cheap. people think they are getting a good deal on some CF parts, but there are different weaves with different numbers of strands.....so on. buy a new one.

·
HipHopHeadd
1,339 Posts
djurchicprelude said:
i dont know what states u guys are from but in pa the insurance isnt the one putting the parts back on, an adjuster comes out and looks at the car, the body shop pretty much tells him how much its gonna be, and then the insurance company sends u out a check for the amount of the damage, doesnt matter the parts, specially if its not ur fault (it is in ur casre, sorry man) but yeah its up to u what u wana do with the check, you dont even have to get the car fixed if u dont want to, or u can spend the check on the same parts u have
:stupid:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Most Insurance companies cover aftermarket parts now.. You need to add them to your clause. My prelude is covered for 1k-3k Performance parts and only cost me another 11.95 a month. This covers damages itmes stolen .Basically anything most standards parts are covered for except wear and tear.

The insurance companies require you to get your car pictures updated when you install new items. And some charge for the new pictures. ( Even the digital ones). So i would say add what you intends for a time period and update your insurance with the part's. At the bear minimum all extyerior parts and ICE should be covered. Since they are most likely to get stolen or damaged.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts