Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the differance between a carbed a20 and a fuel injected a20 besides what i just said. is there a diff in the cams i found an engine for my 86 si but it is a carbed and they said i would have to change the cam out to make it fuel injected. is this true?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm not sure (and someone chime in if I'm wrong) but I think that's all there is is just injection vs. carbed. As far as I know, there's no difference in cams, heads, etc. I think the PGM-fi intake will bolt on in place of the carbed one...don't quote me on it tho until someone else verifies if I'm right or not...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure (and someone chime in if I'm wrong) but I think that's all there is is just injection vs. carbed. As far as I know, there's no difference in cams, heads, etc. I think the PGM-fi intake will bolt on in place of the carbed one...don't quote me on it tho until someone else verifies if I'm right or not...
well that is what i thot and i can get the engine cheep and it is a rebuilt a20 a out of an 88 accord that is carbed.i really dont car i just need to do something befor mine desides to quit on me and i am on foot.

·
Registered
754 Posts
the a20a1 has lower compression pistons then the a20a3 for one, its like 8.8:1

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
the 86-89 accord carb. motor is a direct swap for the A20A3 SI engine i'm not sure of the compression but it's got a diffrent cam as for as drop and drive yes it it all you have to do is swap the intake and exhaust and thermostat housing and maybe the waterpipe behind the waterpump also the end cap as the carb dizzy is held in by 2 bolts and the SI has 2 bolts and a stud.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 86-89 accord carb. motor is a direct swap for the A20A3 SI engine i'm not sure of the compression but it's got a diffrent cam as for as drop and drive yes it it all you have to do is swap the intake and exhaust and thermostat housing and maybe the waterpipe behind the waterpump also the end cap as the carb dizzy is held in by 2 bolts and the SI has 2 bolts and a stud.
so is my cam profile a better one if so thin i will swap it out or get a stage one cam for it one of the two.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
A20A1 engine

Yeah it's got a lower compression and the cam has bit less duration i think they have different part numbers to FI.
I would definately get a stage 1 cam in there will help, the lower compression not so sure you could take the head off and get it skimmed to get it back to stock but you'd have to dick around with the gaskets.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
as far as i can remmeber im pretty sure there are alot of diff between the carb motor and the fi. you cant swap the heads or blocks. they have diff oil and water passeges. the cams are diff for sure. the intake and exahust mani's will bolt pretty easily. the crank pully is diff but you can bolt from one to the other. the motor mounts are the same hope that helps

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks guys i may give on it and just try to sell the car at some point. i hate to since the body is in really god shape no rust and minor dings.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i guess that idea is gon some one bot the engine and i know they did cus it had 25 days to go and today it was sold.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
engines

Well i wouldn't worry about it too much rebuilt engines aren't worth shit most the time they just clean em up and sell it as rebuilt, maybe replace a few gaskets and thats it. Better off finding a good 2nd hand one and then rebuild it yourself while yours is still running. Probably not a lot wrong with yours it's mainly the electronic side of things with sensors and ECU that start playing up on these cars because of the age.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well i wouldn't worry about it too much rebuilt engines aren't worth shit most the time they just clean em up and sell it as rebuilt, maybe replace a few gaskets and thats it. Better off finding a good 2nd hand one and then rebuild it yourself while yours is still running. Probably not a lot wrong with yours it's mainly the electronic side of things with sensors and ECU that start playing up on these cars because of the age.
well that is the problem is i alreay priced it to rebuild and there are only certin places in town that will do the machean work on a honda and thin the cast of the parts. i can rebuild 2 v8 fords for the cost of one a20 honda and i should know i just did a v8 swap on my supra. if the engine gose out on the honda i will have to get rid of the car and fined some thing els. thats all there is to it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
well that is the problem is i alreay priced it to rebuild and there are only certin places in town that will do the machean work on a honda and thin the cast of the parts. i can rebuild 2 v8 fords for the cost of one a20 honda and i should know i just did a v8 swap on my supra. if the engine gose out on the honda i will have to get rid of the car and fined some thing els. thats all there is to it.
:neutral: so thats it.... you are just gonna give up that easy, ill tell you now dude if you get rid of your 2g you will regret it later, if the car means anything to you at all you will be looking for another one later, Do you have anywhere where you can work on the motor yourself, cause if so there is enough info on this site and on 3geez and support from all the members here that anyone with a half way mechanical mind could rebuild a motor

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
engine

I think it's the cost he's more worried about compared to his US V8's it's a lot of money in parts. Which is reasonably true but thats because they made so many and used in so many different cars, our engine was only used for 6 years and only in 3 different model cars so parts are more because of that plus it's honda and the parts are better made than any american engine unless it's aftermarket parts but then they cost more as well!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
:neutral: so thats it.... you are just gonna give up that easy, ill tell you now dude if you get rid of your 2g you will regret it later, if the car means anything to you at all you will be looking for another one later, Do you have anywhere where you can work on the motor yourself, cause if so there is enough info on this site and on 3geez and support from all the members here that anyone with a half way mechanical mind could rebuild a motor
i can rebuild it my self i dont have the money and i am also tired of haveing to serch every where for the fucking parts.

I think it's the cost he's more worried about compared to his US V8's it's a lot of money in parts. Which is reasonably true but thats because they made so many and used in so many different cars, our engine was only used for 6 years and only in 3 different model cars so parts are more because of that plus it's honda and the parts are better made than any american engine unless it's aftermarket parts but then they cost more as well!!
my point exactly. but i do use after market parts on my v8's its just the fact that i cant fined the shit i need for my honda and i am sick of it. i mean come on it is easyer to fined parts for a mazda rx7 witch isnt made at all anymore and i am talking about any year rx7 you can get body kits and all what ever you think you might need for it you can fined it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts