Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally got my baby running and went to take her to get gas and of course, as I am going up the hill to get gas she runs out,so I turn it around and coast down the hill,then go up the street in my truck, I got gas, I tried to start it but she won't turn over, I checked the fuel line that runs into the fuel rail, it has gas going to it and it's pressurized, is it my injectors I have to replace now, I just put in New spark plugs and wires about a month ago and a rotor for the distributor so it shouldn't be a spark issueAny input/ ideas or.
Thoughts helps

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
First off, when you say it doesn't turn over, are you saying that the starter isn't turning the engine over? Or are you saying it's turning over but the engine won't fire? There is a huge difference in the two. It's important to be accurate in your description when asking for help online.

I'm assuming that the engine is actually turning over but it's not firing. If this is true, how long did you try to start it? Are you sure it ran out of gas? If you really did run out of fuel in the tank, it takes a little while for the fuel to get to the injector rail under enough pressure to fire. I had to crank mine for about 30 seconds the last time I had my engine out of the car and I started it for the first time.

Now I have another question for you. First of all, how many miles are on the timing belt? And does it sound "normal" when you're trying to start it, or does it sound like it's spinning a little faster than normal?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like it's turning over fine and I had primed the fuel a couple times before trying to start it after I ran out of gas(turned on and off the car a couple times) to let the car get fuel back in the system, and also not sure how many miles are on the timing belt the car only has a 185k on it

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Can you hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key to the on position? You could be having a main relay issue, which is very common on Hondas in general.

I ask about the timing belt because it's a common cause of engine failure on older Honda engines. It's supposed to be replaced at 90k miles. You can't just assume that it was done, although I'd be very surprised if yours was the original belt since you're at double the mileage for recommended belt replacement. Although you would probably notice a difference in sound when trying to start it if the belt were broken. It's possible that it slipped though. A compression test will tell you if the belt is on correctly or not.

You're going to have to figure this out because none of us is there to help you. Go back to the basics. You need three basic things for an engine to run...an air/fuel mixture, spark, and compression. Remove any one of those and it will not run. Verify which of those is not there. Test for spark and compression because they are the easiest to verify. If you have those then you'll need to make sure that you have sufficient fuel pressure.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
You can add a glycerin filled pressure gauge with a 12mm banjo bolt adapter for $35 shipped or less from jegs.com or ebay. I even have a write up on here of when I added mine with pics. If you already had it installed it would of ruled out one of the variables. I just used a jegs brand gauge and a ebay 12mm banjo bolt, bolt adapter. But jegs.com has the same adapter from autometer for a few bucks more then the ebay one cost me.

Also you can pull the wire and plug for spark but that is unneeded to if you buy a simple about $10 lisle spark plug wire tester(it lights up) best viewed at night. Which would rule out the spark plug wire to wherever you laid it and the cap and rotor and or coil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody have a fuel rail diagram they can share? I went to take a look at it today and fuel stayed pissing out of the fuel line where it attaches to the rail so I popped it of and discovered there was no washer on top of the cap, I'm pretty sure these lines are supposed to have crush washers on them aren't they?

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yes they should have copper crush washers. One per each side of the banjo fitting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts