Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a faulty passenger side multiplex control unit prevent my car from starting?
Can I start it without the unit itself?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I replaced that, made no difference. Im clueless! Car wouldn't even start with jumper cables. Took the starter to advanced auto where they told me it was working.

When I turn the key all the gauge lights come on, as well as headlights and radio. But when I turn the key to start, engine doesnt even attempt to crank. No odd noises, I can hear the realys click normally. No blown fuses!! Anyone have an idea what the problem might be???

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It only comes on when the key is in the ignition with the door open. Its not constantly flashing if thats what u meant?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
It only comes on when the key is in the ignition with the door open. Its not constantly flashing if thats what u meant?
Hmm, are you sure your not talking about the door open light? Its a green light right next to the check engine light. Did you try grounding the starter relay?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Ohh! I'm pretty sure that the problem in a cut relay! Check your clutch pedal. On the clutch pedal there is two white pins (and one pin on a brake pedal):
46505-SA5-000 PAD, PEDAL STOPPER
Almost on all preludes usually they just breaks and the clutch switch won't let you start the car. On a clutch pedal there is a two switches - one switch for the cut relay and another one is for the cruise control. The one you have to check located all the way down inside the pedal and you can see it only if the pedal a little pressed, If you will buy that pedal stopper (any honda/acura dealer should have it for couple bucks), take a long flat screwdriver and glue stopper to the screwdriver - that will help you put it back in.
Both generation (4th and 5th) have that problem. But even if that stopper is missed you always can start your car by rolling and putting a gear.
Here is the picture where the pedal contacts the switches:

Little story. Once i was walking from homedepot to my car how i noticed that my brake lights are flashed! I was scared that someone is trying to steal my car. I run over and I stunned, because no one was in it. Then on the floor mat i found a broken white pin, actually few pieces of that pin. Replaced it and the problem goes away. Later i lost my cruise control. I checked everything and after a few months i figured out the the problem in a white pin! Finally I wasn't able to start my car, the engine didn't even crank! Changed the pin and problem solved.
My advce - if the problem is in the pin, but three of them and replace them at one time, if you don't want to follow my route lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ohh! I'm pretty sure that the problem in a cut relay! Check your clutch pedal. On the clutch pedal there is two white pins (and one pin on a brake pedal):
46505-SA5-000 PAD, PEDAL STOPPER
Almost on all preludes usually they just breaks and the clutch switch won't let you start the car. On a clutch pedal there is a two switches - one switch for the cut relay and another one is for the cruise control. The one you have to check located all the way down inside the pedal and you can see it only if the pedal a little pressed, If you will buy that pedal stopper (any honda/acura dealer should have it for couple bucks), take a long flat screwdriver and glue stopper to the screwdriver - that will help you put it back in.
Both generation (4th and 5th) have that problem. But even if that stopper is missed you always can start your car by rolling and putting a gear.
Here is the picture where the pedal contacts the switches:

Little story. Once i was walking from homedepot to my car how i noticed that my brake lights are flashed! I was scared that someone is trying to steal my car. I run over and I stunned, because no one was in it. Then on the floor mat i found a broken white pin, actually few pieces of that pin. Replaced it and the problem goes away. Later i lost my cruise control. I checked everything and after a few months i figured out the the problem in a white pin! Finally I wasn't able to start my car, the engine didn't even crank! Changed the pin and problem solved.
My advce - if the problem is in the pin, but three of them and replace them at one time, if you don't want to follow my route lol
Thats interesting cuz my cruise control didnt work either. Ughh this is driving me crazy but im gonna take a look at it tomorrow morning and let you know what I come up with. This sounds possible as my car used to start without having to engage the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad took a look at it and it looks like the neutral safty switch wires came loose so we spliced them together and cars up and running again! But thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
52 Posts
working on my son's 99 base model with manual. Checking out clutch problems and got under dash found the top clutch interlock switch disconnected and a paperclip in the plug. I assume this was to override the interlock for some reason. The switch checked good with a meter. I disconnected the other switch that is just labeled "clutch switch", what does it do? I also disconnected the brake switch to get at the lock nut on the clutch interlock switch to try and adjust the push rod. We bled the hydraulics and thought to try and start the car to see if it made any difference. I put the jumper back in the clutch interlock plug and put the brake switch back in but left the other"clutch switch" disconnected. I think that switch goes to cruise control and should not affect starting. Now the starter will not work. I turn the key and get dash lights but nothing when I turn to start. Does that other switch need to be connected? started to rain and ran out of time to test it. Otherwise I messed something up. Any clues on what to check?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Put everything back together and it starts like it used to, so I didn't cause myself any extra issues. Found out why the PO had a jumper in the clutch switch. The little nylon strike pad is missing. I will take care of that later. decided to go ahead and do replacement on the clutch. thanks for the help.
working on my son's 99 base model with manual. Checking out clutch problems and got under dash found the top clutch interlock switch disconnected and a paperclip in the plug. I assume this was to override the interlock for some reason. The switch checked good with a meter. I disconnected the other switch that is just labeled "clutch switch", what does it do? I also disconnected the brake switch to get at the lock nut on the clutch interlock switch to try and adjust the push rod. We bled the hydraulics and thought to try and start the car to see if it made any difference. I put the jumper back in the clutch interlock plug and put the brake switch back in but left the other"clutch switch" disconnected. I think that switch goes to cruise control and should not affect starting. Now the starter will not work. I turn the key and get dash lights but nothing when I turn to start. Does that other switch need to be connected? started to rain and ran out of time to test it. Otherwise I messed something up. Any clues on what to check?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thats interesting cuz my cruise control didnt work either. Ughh this is driving me crazy but im gonna take a look at it tomorrow morning and let you know what I come up with. This sounds possible as my car used to start without having to engage the clutch pedal.
I'm having the same issue, my cruise has never worked, and couldn't figure out why. Now my car won't even try to crank. I'm looking at this trying to figure out how to get under there and check that pin lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts