Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 92 prelude si that has issues starting in cold weather. it turns over fine, but it seems like the gas isn't getting through. i have taken it in multiple times to get it checked out and nothing obvious seems to be a problem. the battery is brand new, as is the fuel filter. the fuel pump has been checked out and nothing is wrong with it. once it starts, on the rare occasion, it runs fine the rest of the day after the engine warms up. my mechanic seems to think that i had a bad tank of gas at one point and some water has frozen somewhere, but i've filled up a couple times since that and it worked ok until recently with a full tank. any help?

·
I lub Denny one tiem
2,504 Posts
your not the only one with this problem right now just dont worry its not a big deal my car hasnt started in over 3 weeks.. i also made a thread in here.. feel free to check up on mine ill write something up after fixing it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the ole girl has stumped us....gettin ready to get ripped off at a honda dealership...
replaced the spark plugs...they were pretty bad....but then we stopped getting spark...checked just about everything we could think of, basically got a free tune up.... :crazy:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i thought the main relay was only a pain in the ass in hot weather? thats the only time ive ever heard of it being retarded...however i'm no mechanic

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
so the ole girl has stumped us....gettin ready to get ripped off at a honda dealership...
replaced the spark plugs...they were pretty bad....but then we stopped getting spark...checked just about everything we could think of, basically got a free tune up.... :crazy:
im def thinking its the main relay like mike said. no fuel, no spark those are obvious symptoms of the main relay going bad. and if your fuel pump doesnt kick on then i would def say its the main relay.

also check your coolant temp sensor. if its bad it will cause a cold no start. which is what you are having problems with. i know this for a fact because mine was unplugged and it did the same thing yours is doing. then i plugged it up and it starts every time. if your wondering where its at, its on the distributor side of the head and it has a grey plug going to it. its right next to another plug maybe 3 inches to the right if you are standing on the pass side looking at it. as for the main relay, its under the steering wheel right by the air vent. its a pretty big box. maybe 4inX2inX2in. you will find it just take a look under there.

·
3,589 Posts
im def thinking its the main relay like mike said. no fuel, no spark those are obvious symptoms of the main relay going bad. and if your fuel pump doesnt kick on then i would def say its the main relay.

also check your coolant temp sensor. if its bad it will cause a cold no start. which is what you are having problems with. i know this for a fact because mine was unplugged and it did the same thing yours is doing. then i plugged it up and it starts every time. if your wondering where its at, its on the distributor side of the head and it has a grey plug going to it. its right next to another plug maybe 3 inches to the right if you are standing on the pass side looking at it. as for the main relay, its under the steering wheel right by the air vent. its a pretty big box. maybe 4inX2inX2in. you will find it just take a look under there.
pretty sure its something i mentioned above. either the main relay or the coolant temp sensor. could also be the FIV or the IACV. its going to be something simple. it always is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thats what i figure it's gonna be...o well.
they can diagnose it and if its something easy it isn't gonna get fixed there...do it myself or take it somewhere cheaper

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
thats what i figure it's gonna be...o well.
they can diagnose it and if its something easy it isn't gonna get fixed there...do it myself or take it somewhere cheaper
Been over a week since ive been on the site.. Let us know what honda finds... There are alot of us having issues. you might want to do a search for "cold start" or somthing like that here.. Theres some good threads that might be able to help. I know im having issues similar to this as well as Bryan, its been a nightmare.. My car has been sitting for about a month now it sucks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its good to know i'm not the only one. i've been havin these issues for over a month. i would take it in and my mechanic couldn't figure anything out. then it would randomly start running again. then it takes another shit and i'm out a car. glad my bf can drive me around and let me use his car, but an integra just isn't the same

·
3,589 Posts
hopefully it wont cost you out the ass. i fixed my problem by replacing what i said earlier. now im having a problem with bogging but im 99.99% sure its my map sensor. gotta get a new wiring harness :cries:

·
Registered
172 Posts
did u hear the fuel pump kick when u put it in the on?

if so, you shoulda checked the engine and chasis ground going from the neg battery terminal. That was my problem, cost me about 2 months of frustration (only worked on it every other week for about an hr)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
its good to know i'm not the only one. i've been havin these issues for over a month. i would take it in and my mechanic couldn't figure anything out. then it would randomly start running again. then it takes another shit and i'm out a car. glad my bf can drive me around and let me use his car, but an integra just isn't the same
Yeah you are deff not the only one! Made me feel good to know when i found out that i wasnt the only one :) haha. Do you ever have to give it gas when you start it?

That your green lude in your album? if so looks good.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts