Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home at stop lights and stop signs my car shakes bad like it's going to stall. I payed attention to my tach and no RPM movement up or down. So I get home and leave the car on, pop the hood and it seems like I need a motor mount somewhere. The whole engine is shaking as a unit. From the intake manifold, to the head, to the intake, everything. The only mount I could see is the front drivers side mount which is shaking, the bracket as well as the rubber mount itself. How bad is it to drive like this?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't know how bad the motor shakes after you remove your balance shaft belt, I don't think it is that bad though, but your balance shaft belt might have broke.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
if it just started happening in a matter of days and not a slow progression getting worse, yea could be a ballance shaft.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vibration's been getting worse over time but the shaky idle just started today. One more thing, I did have the front motor mount replaced already. The other three are original.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
At 90,000 miles Honda told me my Balance Shaft Belt timing was off. This was 15K after my mechanic did my timing belt. Went back to my mechanic to tell them what Honda said and he told me everything was fine at that time. Now 20,000 miles later I get this shit. Maybe that is what happened then, the belt. After paying closer attention I could see the motor moving and it's actually making everything attached to it move as well. I guess there goes another $400-$500. What pisses me off is that it really hasn't been my car giving me problems. It's been my fuck-up mechanic for a lot of things. Hopefully he will reimburse for the amount I pay to get it fixed cause I'm sure as hell not going back to him to get it fixed. He might fuck up something else.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Prey_Lude99 said:
I don't know how bad the motor shakes after you remove your balance shaft belt, I don't think it is that bad though, but your balance shaft belt might have broke.
this doesn't sound like a balance shaft belt breaking issue. I have mine removed completely and it doesn't do this.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really, and your not hurting your engine at all? Does your engine feel different even slightly with the belt out? What exactly is the balance shaft belt's purpose then?

·
Registered
403 Posts
nyluder22 said:
Really, and your not hurting your engine at all? Does your engine feel different even slightly with the belt out? What exactly is the balance shaft belt's purpose then?
Plenty of H22 users do this no cost mod, frees up a small amount of parasitic hp. The engine felt more 'rigid' in the way the car handles, if that makes any sense at all. No excess shaking, or vibration really. Almost felt like a little more road vibration or rigidness if only very very slightly.

Been running for 3+ months like this with no issues.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For anybody that actually cares, Honda found the problem to be the EGR valve but wants to be positive so they want me to drive it a couple more days to see if that's the CEL comes on again.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
Is that what it ended up being? I know it's a while ago but just wondering if that fixed the issue?
It's only been 10 years, haha.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's only been 10 years, haha.

As if relevant info expires? Seriously what's with ppl making stupid comments in regards to replying to old threads? If the older thread is incomplete and some one has the proper info, why not update it?

Anyways this is the last time I reply to something like this. I promise Haha

Oh and btw 99% it was the EGR valve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts