Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok whos got one, and how does it work.

im REALLY interested in it, and i know how to build a pc, but my question is, how the hell does the touchscreen work with windows? or what operating system do you have to use?

someone point me in the right direction or something.

im reaaaaly going to get this shit done.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
there was a huge thread about this somewhere, you are too lazy to search so I'm gonna be too lazy to search and find it for ya

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

im REALLY interested in it, and i know how to build a pc, but my question is, how the hell does the touchscreen work with windows? or what operating system do you have to use?

cant remember if xp has it but by default Vista has it turn on.
the screen will have a USB connection to the carputer

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there was a huge thread about this somewhere, you are too lazy to search so I'm gonna be too lazy to search and find it for ya

not necessarily, since people name their threads retardly, and theirs not a go to thread for it.

so unless you have something that answers my question, dont post here.

kthnxbai.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cant remember if xp has it but by default Vista has it turn on.
the screen will have a USB connection to the carputer

alright cool, so id be able to navigate vista with my fingers like a mouse on the screen?
is their any other operating system that i should use instead of a microsoft os?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
not necessarily, since people name their threads retardly, and theirs not a go to thread for it.

so unless you have something that answers my question, dont post here.

kthnxbai.

Yeah these thread names are super retarded:

Let's see, this one is called "car computer"! WOW that's a retarded name
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239256

Oh and this one, it's "CarPC complete"! Another retarded name
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270731

Took me a whole 2 mins of searching for "computer" to find.

does that answer your question? kthnxbai

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you really didnt accomplish much with those 2 threads then look like an asshole.

the threads dont really go into detail about operating systems, which is what im looking for.

homeboy that posted before you came with some info.

and you did was try to look cool.

fail.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

you claim you know how to build a computer, so you obviously don't need a thread explaining that.

Then you want to know what OS. Look in the threads I linked, he is clearly using windows xp. If your so damn needy for info why not search google? Instead of sitting on here and calling people that try to help you assholes, asshole.

If you know "how to build a computer" then you obviously know that you need drivers to make shit work, and obviously the touchscreen comes with a driver and/or software to make it work in windows XP.

Maybe you don't really know shit about computers with these questions your asking.

I "pointed" you in the right direction and you come back insulting me and calling me names. I'm done in this thread, figure it out on your own.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
you claim you know how to build a computer, so you obviously don't need a thread explaining that.

Then you want to know what OS. Look in the threads I linked, he is clearly using windows xp. If your so damn needy for info why not search google? Instead of sitting on here and calling people that try to help you assholes, asshole.

If you know "how to build a computer" then you obviously know that you need drivers to make shit work, and obviously the touchscreen comes with a driver and/or software to make it work in windows XP.

Maybe you don't really know shit about computers with these questions your asking.

I "pointed" you in the right direction and you come back insulting me and calling me names. Piss off jackass.
So then you're sure that it works with XP? I mean I know - why wouldn't it? but you accomplish nothing be being a dick about it.

Hardware and software are two COMPLETELY different things. Building a computer deals 100% with hardware. I'm pretty sure a computer scientist would have a whole different skill set than an assembly line computer assembler working at a Dell plant. So... good call.

I mean if you can explain how a touch screen can work with an operating system not designed in any way to be compatible with one, then more power to you. All you had to do was tell him. Dancing around with your dick out calling him an idiot doesn't make you seem that smart....

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Hardware and software are two COMPLETELY different things. Building a computer deals 100% with hardware. I'm pretty sure a computer scientist would have a whole different skill set than an assembly line computer assembler working at a Dell plant. So... good call.

I mean if you can explain how a touch screen can work with an operating system not designed in any way to be compatible with one, then more power to you. All you had to do was tell him. Dancing around with your dick out calling him an idiot doesn't make you seem that smart....
Snipped a bit...

As a computer science major, I can tell you this....

If you do not already know what dell computer assembler knows and then some... you are not a computer scientist. You are an idiot with the wrong major.

And of course the touch screen will work with windows.... they're called drivers. Any computer scientist can write one.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Snipped a bit...

As a computer science major, I can tell you this....

If you do not already know what dell computer assembler knows and then some... you are not a computer scientist. You are an idiot with the wrong major.

And of course the touch screen will work with windows.... they're called drivers. Any computer scientist can write one.
True true, I guess I worded it wrong. I meant more along the lines of:

A computer assemblyman does not have near the expertise of a computer scientist. Though they both surely know how to assemble a computer, just because you know how to assemble doesn't mean you can write the driver...

In reality building a computer is like Legos. If you have the little booklet, you pretty much can't go wrong. HA

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I "pointed" you in the right direction and you come back insulting me and calling me names. I'm done in this thread, figure it out on your own.

i know HE is using xp, but god damn. i figured he was using a portable mouse to use the OS, i did not know thier was a touchscreen driver for it.

all you had to say was that god damn, trying to get your postcount up and shit.

and i somehow insulted you? lol wut.

i know how to build computers, the process hasnt changed much since the last time i built one like 3 years ago. i dont see how being able to build computers has anything to do with my question on what OS would be best for a car pc.

·
Registered
173 Posts
wow... putting together a computer on a dell line puts you right up there with the guy that works a wal-mart. I own a computer store and know both hardware and software, you have to know both to build computers. hell my grandma can put the thing together that dont mean it will work. oh ya thats why i have all them dells in my shop to be fixed thats right...

yes you can use a touchscreen on any windows computer all the way back to win 95. I would use xp pro if i was you. thats what i am running in my car and it works great.

good luck with your install...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I read that it's really your preference on what os you want. I don't know that much about mac and linux. For me it would be xp vs. vista, in which case I would take xp. I think I remember reading that because you need a better processor to run vista, it puts more drain on the electrical system(correct me if i'm wrong). Imo,I would just keep it as simple as possible with a carputer while still retaining everything I would want.

·
Registered
173 Posts
you would be better off with a smaller amd cpu and an all in one main board for a micro atx. that will work the best. the board only needs 12v to run you just have to have a very stable power supply. I have a micro atx system in the trunk with a DVD-RW drive in the dash with a tuchscreen. I'm running win xp pro on it that works the best for what I use it for. but its up to you and what you need to run on it. I use mine for WiFi for firefox and outlook, nav and winamp. but I can do just about anything i like to with it. the video is only a nvidea 6700gt so not a lot of games play on it but thats about all i cant do...

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
A computer assemblyman does not have near the expertise of a computer scientist. Though they both surely know how to assemble a computer, just because you know how to assemble doesn't mean you can write the driver...
But dell computer assembly dude probably can INSTALL a driver. and if you've dealt with building a computer... then you sure as hell know that you need to install a driver for every last piece of hardware... how would a touch screen be any diffrent?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
But dell computer assembly dude probably can INSTALL a driver. and if you've dealt with building a computer... then you sure as hell know that you need to install a driver for every last piece of hardware... how would a touch screen be any diffrent?
?? the driver installs itself in 99% of programs. I'd hope anyone can install it with today's operating system's user interface. Some drivers won't work with different operating systems. You could have just come in and said like the guy a few posts back, that he would be fine with anything Win95 and up.

Good luck with the project let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We run these in our police department where I work(at a city). I would not put it in the trunk in my opinion. If you can build a custom case, try to drop it in your glove box area and mount it underneath to the top. I would also not go with an AMD processor. I would personally go with one that runs cooler since it will get hot in your car.

You would be fine with most any windows OS for running the touch screen. All the screen does is emulate a mouse and send the coordinates to the pc. Then it has a built in keyboard to push buttons on. I would recommend a wireless keyboard though. They have some nice ones that roll right up.

If it was me, I'd save some money on the thing and pick up and older Pentium 4 processor, throw 2 gigs of ram, and xp on the thing.

To save room, make sure all devices are integrated like sound, video, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts