Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this problem in the spring, but when it started warming up, it stopped. Now its getting colder again and the issue has returned. If the car sits overnight and the weather changes, it doesn't like starting. It cranks fine and will try to start. Sometimes it will start and when it does, it blows smoke and then runs fine. I am getting spark and when I pull the plugs they are wet with gas. If I pull the plugs and let them dry, it starts and runs fine. Anyone had any similar issues? Any Ideas?
Thannks

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
What maintenance has been done on the car? Almost sounds like you're due for a tune-up. Spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, etc.

If your plugs are wet with fuel, and you're getting spark, that would leave me to believe that your not getting air into the motor. Air filter? Especially if it blows a bunch of smoke from fuel or oil upon fire-up.

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
Do you hear your main relay engage prior to starting?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What maintenance has been done on the car? Almost sounds like you're due for a tune-up. Spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, etc.

If your plugs are wet with fuel, and you're getting spark, that would leave me to believe that your not getting air into the motor. Air filter? Especially if it blows a bunch of smoke from fuel or oil upon fire-up.
It came with a cheap cold air intake. I've been wanting to replace it with the stock system, but haven't found it at a reasonable price. I have replaced the plugs. It has a nice set of ngk wires that don't look too old. I haven't done the distributer at all or the fuel filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you hear your main relay engage prior to starting?
At what point should I hear that and would it still start if it's not engaging? I does start and blow a little smoke eventually most of the time and it tries to start even the times it doesn't start, meaning it's cranking and i'm getting fuel and spark at least a little

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
Cranking does not always mean it's getting fuel and spark.

You will hear the relay "click" when you turn the key but not fully crank it

I assume you hear the fuel pump at least?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cranking does not always mean it's getting fuel and spark.

You will hear the relay "click" when you turn the key but not fully crank it

I assume you hear the fuel pump at least?
It tries to start, as in i get an occasional fire. It acts like a carbureted car when it's flooded. It will occasionally get a cylinder firing, but not actually start. I assume that means that at least to some extent fuel and spark is present. I could be wrong. I'm much more use to older cars. I have a bunch of Hondas but my next newest is 81 lol.

I do hear something click when I turn the key part way. I just went out and started it for the first time today. It started fine, but ran a little rough. I gave it some gas, it blew a little smoke and now its fine.

I think I'll look into the air cleaner. Any opinions on what to get?

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Air filter, and a distributor cap and rotor would be my suggestion. Sounds like your car is getting fuel, but having trouble burning it off due to weak spark.

If the cap and rotor are worn, they'll be finicky when the weather changes- expanding and contracting from temperature swings can change the gaps thousandths of an inch, which can be the difference between making good contact with the cap and rotor, or not contact at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts