Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I continously press the gas. (and who wants to do that!)

The car runs fine without the a/c on. Although it sometimes idles a little low at times during cold-start, but not all the time.

Immediately upon hittin the a/c switch, the car "shudders" pretty bad, the idle kinda pops up a little and then drops drastically. The car will sputter if left alone and run real poor.

If i were to accelerate or rev the engine lightly, the rpm's drop like a rock and the car dies, rendering the car INOP with the a/c on.

there is also a faint exhaust smell coming from engine bay too after this is done.

The a/c is actually cold and blows good so that's kinda weird.

any ideas? i searched for this and nothing this detailed has been posted from what I saw...thanks. This is my first a/c prob, please bear with me. :)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Rompirate. I actually do as a matter of fact. Its a cc lightweight. the car idles at 700-800rmps with no a/c. at cold start, it'll idle at 1200-1300 until it warms up and then 700-800rpms afterwards. that's normal right?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Sounds like your A/C compressor may be dying or trying to freeze up. The IACV going bad may cause a really low idle/bog, but it shouldn't kill the motor.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like your A/C compressor may be dying or trying to freeze up. The IACV going bad may cause a really low idle/bog, but it shouldn't kill the motor.
i need to find a/c compressor troubleshooting steps...any ideas? I'll look into the IACV tomorrow.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a lightweight flywheel and recently installed A/C back into my car. I think my car idles really low when the A/C is on, and the A/C system makes a weird noise when idling, but a little gas and the noise is gone. Doesn't turn off tho...

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Mine had the same problem but it ended up being a fan problem

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had/have this same issue, but mine I think is tune related. I have a chipped P72 ECU and according to some, Crome is a little buggy with the AC controls. But then again, the guy who tuned me most recently is a complete moron, and the car never did this before the tune so.....

But something else to keep in mind. Do you have lightweight or underdriven AC pulleys or anything? The PO put AEM lightweight pulleys on all my accessories. Perhaps that has something to do with things too...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts