Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was on my way home this evening after being gone at school all day then taking a trip to the Honda Dealership of all places to pick up a Oil Cooler O-Ring and to think about 15 minutes later on my way home I was taking off from a stop light and I was moving (and no I didnt stall it) all of the sudden my car just shut off and my battery and oil pressure light came on! No weird noises nothing. So I moved over into a turn lane and tried to start it again. No luck, it just cranked over somewhat slowly. I waited for my girlfriend to come to my rescue and whilst she steered I pushed off to the side of the road and we then tried to jump it and i waited I'd say 3 or 4 minutes to try it and it turned over faster but still wont start. I had it towed home. I have looked up a few things online and as far as i can tell its not the main relay as I can hear my fuel pump run when the key is in the on position and if it was the ignition switch I believe it may of started when I tried jiggling the key around several times and I also never lost day lights. I do know for fact my alternator belt is kind of loose after doing my timing belt and I had actually planned to tighten it up this evening. Do any of you guys know what could be my issue? Could it be alternator? Battery? A bad coil? Oil in the Dizzy? I would appreciate any replies and I plan to see if im getting any spark tomorrow and test the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice si91alb, unfortunately it wasn't the coil, I tried replacing it. I also know I'm getting fuel so I have it narrowed to the distributor possibly the ignitor? Or the crank position sensor? If it's the Crank sensor would it throw a code or not run?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I believe if it were the crank sensor, top dead center sensor or the cylinder 1 position sensor (which is located in the distributor) it would start but Should definitely throw a code and most likely go into limp mode. Sorry i can't be much more of a help. I still think it's an an ignition problem tho.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for your help, and I'm crossing my fingers that you'll be correct haha, gonna check my timing and again for fuel tomorrow. If they both check out I'm gonna replace the distributor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its most likely your timing belt, had the exact same thing happen to me while driving. It felt like it stalled but i wasnt even shifting or anything. The oil pressure and battery light came on and it would turn over but not start. Turns out my timing belt just snapped. Lukily the engine was not really damaged at all. The oil pressure light and battery light come on when the key is turned but the engine is not on so it has nothing to do with those lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts