Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine's warm?...could this make it difficult to remove the plugs? I put all my force into trying to loosen these things but nothing...wont budge. if i use a breaker bar do i run the risk of stripping the threads on the head?

-JB

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Just keep trying. The first time I changed my plugs they were a bitch to loosen up, but they'll budge.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, got them out...took some muscle and a little blood... Umm, ok this is how I did it.

1. Removed Fuse for Fuel Pump
2. Removed Spark Plug #1
3. Attached Compression Tester with All Other Spark Plugs In - is this correct?
4. Turned Engine Over for 5 Seconds, Then for 3 seconds and Repeted the 3 Seconds 4 times.
5. Removed Spark Plug #2 and With Spark Plug #1 Still Out Repeted Step 4.
NOW IS RUNNING THE TEST ON EACH INDIVIDUAL CYL GOING TO BE AFFECTED BY THE OTHER CYLINDERS PLUGS BEING IN OR OUT? I WAS CONFUSED ON THIS PART WHEN READING THE HOW TO?
6. Continued with the Last Two - leaving the previous plugs out each time so by the time I got to plug #4, no other plugs were in their cylinders....

My readings ranged from 185-215 on the compression tester and the car was driven for over an hour just an hour previous to that so it hadn't cooled much. I belive weather or not the motor is warm affects the readings; correct me if im wrong.

-JB

·
Registered
285 Posts
stupafly22 said:
Ok, got them out...took some muscle and a little blood... Umm, ok this is how I did it.

1. Removed Fuse for Fuel Pump
2. Removed Spark Plug #1
3. Attached Compression Tester with All Other Spark Plugs In - is this correct?
4. Turned Engine Over for 5 Seconds, Then for 3 seconds and Repeted the 3 Seconds 4 times.
5. Removed Spark Plug #2 and With Spark Plug #1 Still Out Repeted Step 4.
NOW IS RUNNING THE TEST ON EACH INDIVIDUAL CYL GOING TO BE AFFECTED BY THE OTHER CYLINDERS PLUGS BEING IN OR OUT? I WAS CONFUSED ON THIS PART WHEN READING THE HOW TO?
6. Continued with the Last Two - leaving the previous plugs out each time so by the time I got to plug #4, no other plugs were in their cylinders....

My readings ranged from 185-215 on the compression tester and the car was driven for over an hour just an hour previous to that so it hadn't cooled much. I belive weather or not the motor is warm affects the readings; correct me if im wrong.

-JB
WHAT!?!?!?:shock:

all you gotta do is pull the pump fuse (some choose to unplug the ignition coil wire) and pull 1 plug at a time, hook up a vacuum gauge, hold the gas all the way down and crank the engine for a consistant time between all cylinders, wether it be 5 or 15 seconds. just use the same amount of seconds for testing all cylinders. youre also suppsed to have only the plug out, for the cylinder youre testing. all others should be in.

where did you get the compression test info from? ive never heard of doing it the way you explained.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The post in the 5th Gen How To someone stated that they got the same readings doing it the way i did and the way you stated...give it a looksee..

-JB

·
Registered
285 Posts
stupafly22 said:
The post in the 5th Gen How To someone stated that they got the same readings doing it the way i did and the way you stated...give it a looksee..

-JB
well yeah they got the same readings, youre just doing a bunch of extra cranking. as soon as you get to a certain psi, you cant pass that. that is the cylinders max psi. im just sayin you dont need to crank it for 5 seconds, then 3 seconds, 4 times. thats just making your engine crank unnecessarily, its not really needed ya know? do it how you want, im not telling you that way is wrong, ijust do it differently...easier for me.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
you can have all 4 plugs out, or i'd alwasy have 3 in just to make all things equal.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lilredlude said:
you can have all 4 plugs out, or i'd alwasy have 3 in just to make all things equal.
Just curious but what difference would it make? Are all the cyls linked in some way?

-JB

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
shouldn't but since your numbers are greater than a 5psi difference i'd eliminate all possibilties

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, did it leaving 3 plugs in at all times and came up with 190-200 overall. I'd say not bad for 165000 and counting!

-JB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts