Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the 3rd generation. My hood cable snapped, and I've posted a wanted ad here

I already contacted my local Honda dealer, they weren't any help, and there's not many dealers within driving distance of where I live in Virginia.

Already tried Majestic Honda and the online OEM shops on Google's first page, they're all out of stock.

Part number is 74130-SF1-A01

If you can find me that one, or one from a similar model that would work, I'd be grateful. I do NOT want to go the hood pin route as this is a "modern restoration".

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
For the 3rd generation. My hood cable snapped, and I've posted a wanted ad here

I already contacted my local Honda dealer, they weren't any help, and there's not many dealers within driving distance of where I live in Virginia.

Already tried Majestic Honda and the online OEM shops on Google's first page, they're all out of stock.

Part number is 74130-SF1-A01

If you can find me that one, or one from a similar model that would work, I'd be grateful. I do NOT want to go the hood pin route as this is a "modern restoration".
Junkyard time my friend.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Junkyard time my friend.
There are no Preludes in the junkyards around me. Of course, if someone finds one in their local junkyard, I'd pay for retrieval.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unable to use eBay due to them suspending my account because a competitor in my old business bought stuff and spammed negative feedback so I'm banned for life, and not taking the chance of signing up again.
I would write to Ebay and explain the situation. Ebay is one of the best places to find used parts .

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would write to Ebay and explain the situation. Ebay is one of the best places to find used parts .

Dude its not gonna happen. Banned for life really means banned for life.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've decided to go ahead and try my luck with a 1990 Honda Accord hood cable - I'm gonna go to the store tomorrow and see if it works. If anything I anticipate it'll be a little long, to fix that I plan to hook it up at the hood, adjust the latch, and then from there I'll pull it with visegrips, see how long it takes and then tie a knot in the cable at the lever end. If it works, I'll write up a how-to. I read on an integra forum it worked for an integra owner.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I would think you would have better luck with a 86-89 accord but I could be wrong as I have not looked at the parts.

EDIT: Just going off of the parts drawings maybe the 90-93 4th gen accord is better fit after all

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd rather have a longer cable to work with than a shorter one :/

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys,

I've confirmed its long enough to fit, but I've not reinstalled the latch on my car as we've had a bad case of shitty weather come through. Once its nice enough outside you can expect a write-up on how it went.

·
Registered
954 Posts
QUOTE=Xiao_Hu;4028034]... My hood cable snapped...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like all you need is a new inner cable. The hood release cable is just a regular Bowden cable, same as used on every car and motorcycle made.

Snapping cables is common enough on bikes, so motorcycle shops sometimes carry a reel of wire inner cable for just such repairs. If you can find a motorcycle shop that repairs Bowden cables, take your hood release cable to them and they'll simply replace your inner cable and solder a new nipple on each end. Or, try your local classic car repair shop who will almost certainly be able to repair a Bowden cable.
https://classiccarcenter.net/

If you want a completely new cable, there are companies that will make them up from scratch. Not recommending this company particularly, it's just an example.
https://www.cccables.com/

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got this covered dude. I'm 99% sure the cable I chose is gonna work. Just gotta give me some time to figure it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts