Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having trouble with installing a deck in my Prelude. I first bought a JVC deck along with the wiring harness. I followed the wiring diagram, as well as the markings on the female wiring harness that I bought separately. I spliced all of the wires as per the markings on the wires, and the colours. After all of that, I turned the deck on and the sound was fine. But after 2 minutes or so, the sound cut out, and the deck was still playing my MP3 CD. So, after I unhooked the wiring harness from the unit and plugged it back in, it did the same thing, only this time there was no sound. I went back to Best Buy and returned it and then bought a KENWOOD. Now that I have the KENWOOD installed, it won't even play anything. The deck comes on, but as soon as I put a disc in or use the tuner, it shuts off and stays off until I push in the reset button. It also does the same thing after I reset it.

Do I have to do any more wiring? I have read the ICE http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235823 , but is this type of setup required for installing every aftermarket deck in our Prelude's? Lastly, did any of you have any troubles installing aftermarket decks?

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
this goes in the audio section.

and of course our cars can handle aftermarket decks.
had zero problems installing the simple system in th elude.

·
Registered
326 Posts
its not the deck if its brand new.

make sure your connections are coming undone when the deck is pushed back into the console

i have a kenwood and it works fine

unless u have the worst luck ever to get 2 broken dekcs in a row.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
CADster said:
this goes in the audio section
I am sure that a mod will move this. Next time, I will put this in the audio section. My apologies mods.

88_2.0L said:
its not the deck if its brand new.

make sure your connections are coming undone when the deck is pushed back into the console

i have a kenwood and it works fine

unless u have the worst luck ever to get 2 broken dekcs in a row.
I have checked out my connections, and with me being an apprentice electrician, my splices are good to go. I have used "marrettes" to cap off the wires so that they don't touch each other, or the frame. I even pulled the whole deck and assembly to check it out, and even when I have it all out and try using the deck, it does the same thing. She just shuts off when the disc is about to start playing, or when I try to listen to the radio.

Even brand new decks can be duds. This may be the 2nd deck in 2 days that is faulty. It is just like my family and I, anything that we buy (electronics), they are faulty. This is the most trouble that I have had installing a deck. The wiring is simple and I have had no problems before. This is extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
326 Posts
haha u have almost as bad of luck as me!

well it still might be the wiring of hte car itself tho.

try another deck adn if it doesnt work. might as well start running new wiring

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
88_2.0L said:
haha u have almost as bad of luck as me!

well it still might be the wiring of hte car itself tho.

try another deck adn if it doesnt work. might as well start running new wiring
The factory tape deck works fine, but aftermarket decks aren't working.

I have installed 2 decks (separate occasions) in my 1993 Plymouth Laser, and 1 deck in my 2002 Ford Windstar Sport, and I haven't encountered any problems. Now, I try and install a deck in my Prelude only to have 2 failures. My patience factor is becoming obsolete with this situation.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
88_2.0L said:
you could always take it to a real audio shop and pay the mto make it work lol
Then I would have to spend $50 to have them install it, and the fact that I would feel incompetent by asking someone else to do it is even worse.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the problem. Whenever I connected the wiring harness to the back of
the deck, the left speaker would make a "pop" sound. I didn't think much of it until I did some further reading from various sites. Then it hit me, I had taken out the back speakers because they were damaged (1st owner installed them) and they were undersized. Upon removing the rear speakers, I didn't cap the wires off and I thought they might have been touching the frame of the car and cause the deck to go into protection mode. Well, I put caps on those wires and tried to deck again, but to no avail.

So, I unplugged the wiring harness again from the deck and then plugged it in again only to hear that "popping" sound again. The "popping" sound only came from the left front speaker. I decided to un-splice the left front speaker and then my sound came through my right front speaker.

I have to take the door panel apart to find out why the speaker is causing so much of a hassle. Once I took off the speaker grill, I noticed the speaker is damaged and I am assuming that a skinned wire is touching the door frame. It also gives me a reason to by new speakers, :).

With all of that work installing 2 decks and getting no where, the problem was from my left front speaker. I am glad that I accomplished installing my deck, and through some troubleshooting and reading, I can listen to my MP3s in my car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The same thing happend to me when I installed new front speakers and anew head unit. You have to put electrical tape on the bottom half of the metal circle on your door, behind the basket. I could'nt figure it out for like 3 days. That should solve your problem.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
zolemite said:
The same thing happend to me when I installed new front speakers and anew head unit. You have to put electrical tape on the bottom half of the metal circle on your door, behind the basket. I could'nt figure it out for like 3 days. That should solve your problem.
The first owner of my Prelude installed the front speakers (Sony) and they worked for the factory tape deck. Even though they worked for the tape deck, my KENWOOD would go into safe mode because the left front speaker is damaged.

I will get new speakers someday. I am not too sure of what manufacturer, maybe I will go with JBL, Infinity, MTX, or JL AUDIO.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Be aware that you are limited to the depth of your door speakers. I have cut away the entire plastic Honda basket leaving only a mounting ring. My Cerwin Vega 6 1/2" JUST fit without the windows hitting them. They have been in the doors unprotected for 6 years now with no ill effects. My car sits outside in Georgia so you know it gets rained on.

:turn:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dano said:
Be aware that you are limited to the depth of your door speakers. I have cut away the entire plastic Honda basket leaving only a mounting ring. My Cerwin Vega 6 1/2" JUST fit without the windows hitting them. They have been in the doors unprotected for 6 years now with no ill effects. My car sits outside in Georgia so you know it gets rained on.

:turn:
Thanks for the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts