Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i'm going to look at another prelude this week & I was wondering if you guys could help me out with what to check for & how to maybe lower the price. I don't know lots about cars & just started learning about the basic stuff this year.

I was looking at this '01 Prelude (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...se/1162853539?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true)

I wasn't planning on putting turbo or anything but simply just making it as my winter car (I live in Canada). I was talking to the guy & this is what he said:
-Burns a little oil just on start up after it sits for a couple days. Goes down about a litre every oil change.
-Front hood has rust as seen on the picture on ad (blurry though)
-Wheel well has rust (can't see clear)

That's it so far, I'm going to personally see the car to check out the other stuff. I was just wondering if you guys could give me any pointers on what to look for, etc. I'm also a tire guy at a shop so I get pretty good discounts so I was thinking of just changing the timing belt & water pump since it would only cost me $600+ including labour already. It is at 238,000km.

Any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I had stuff written and seen you have post well that opened in this tab when i clicked it and was lost so you get the short version. He's asking too much and full of shit on the oil. That is rusted out so would be ok to slap some gislaved on and roll on plowed icy roads. Mine stays in the garage.
I would say $500-1000USD and be ready to walk. That is if the leather is mint and other parts in good shape because i would part it keeping what i wanted.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey guys, so i'm going to look at another prelude this week & I was wondering if you guys could help me out with what to check for & how to maybe lower the price. I don't know lots about cars & just started learning about the basic stuff this year.

I was looking at this '01 Prelude (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...se/1162853539?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true)

I wasn't planning on putting turbo or anything but simply just making it as my winter car (I live in Canada). I was talking to the guy & this is what he said:
-Burns a little oil just on start up after it sits for a couple days. Goes down about a litre every oil change.
-Front hood has rust as seen on the picture on ad (blurry though)
-Wheel well has rust (can't see clear)

That's it so far, I'm going to personally see the car to check out the other stuff. I was just wondering if you guys could give me any pointers on what to look for, etc. I'm also a tire guy at a shop so I get pretty good discounts so I was thinking of just changing the timing belt & water pump since it would only cost me $600+ including labour already. It is at 238,000km.

Any help is appreciated :)
Thats not a lot of miles for a honda, and a litre of oil in between oil changes is about normal for a vtec with that use. I havent meet an owner yet that didnt have one burning oil. If its just a winter car and your putting a heater on the radiator hose i wouldnt worry bout the body. The price is between you and the seller.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thats not a lot of miles for a honda, and a litre of oil in between oil changes is about normal for a vtec with that use. I havent meet an owner yet that didnt have one burning oil. If its just a winter car and your putting a heater on the radiator hose i wouldnt worry bout the body. The price is between you and the seller.

That is a shit ton of miles for a h22 and the seller is full of shit I guarantee.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That is a shit ton of miles for a h22 and the seller is full of shit I guarantee.
that's a 148,000mi its not a lot for an H22. My last automatic had 225,000mi when it wrecked and it was runnin/shifting beautiful.
Plus my buddy is still driving his with 380,000 mi....and counting:)
Did you see his is in Km not miles, Canada uses the metric system.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
Oil after startup is usually valve seals. That also probably means that after decelerating in gear you will burn a little oil when you accelerate again. (Oil gets sucked down through worn valve seals under the higher vacuum of decelerating in gear.)

Burning a litre of oil every oil change is pretty good for a higher mileage H22 and for that price, it appears to be a good deal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well this forum was a waste of time lol. We talked and set up a meet date and he just texted me the car was sold.. Oh well

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
The forum wasn't a waste of time, the flaky seller was a waste of time.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Technically thats fair asking price as far as blue book values go...
but find an angle and work him down on price, i found mine on craig's list for $1900, then talked him down to $1200. But lots of Ludes do go for full book value
Okay. Yeah I was thinking of maybe even getting it down to at least close $2000. Hopefully. but I'm meeting him today and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I rarely see 5th gens listed under $3500 around here. If so they are beaters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts