Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last night i was rippin the car a little bit....nothin too crazy though....and at the very end i start smellin something and it was def the smell of a burnin clutch ...it was still apparent over an hour later and i felt the gears slippin a bit and then it just wouldnt catch any gears at all ....pulled over and ended up waiting for a FLATbED towtruck for about 5 hrs ...3:15-8:15am ......but neway, do you guys think the problem is that the clutch is just burnt or what...im still a noob to manual cars so i dono much onthe subject........the clutch was just replaced on the car before i bought it a couple months ago too so i dono how it just went so fast.....

·
I lub Denny one tiem
2,504 Posts
this is something im scared of! sound like ur clutch is gone.. this happened to my friends civic that has a stage2 clutch which was pretty new i dont know what the hell he did

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
haha so that's you that posted on H-T? I'll just repeat what I said over there. Is the clutch an OEM or similar replacement or is it a performance clutch? If it's a stage 1/2/3 etc, did you follow break-in procedure or did the previous owner do it? It probably just overheated which can cause it to glaze over and it wont hold as well anymore.

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
Well how the hell am I supposed to know what kinda motor he has lol. If you suck enough at driving you could definitely overheat your clutch on an F22 if you're messing with it too much

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya its a stock f22...and i dono what kinda clutch he had just put in.....i was fkin with it a bit but i didnt think it was nethin that serious...it def wasnt and if thats all that it can handle - thats really sad....i dono..im fkin pissed......how much am i lookin at for this repair?

·
Registered
25 Posts
All depends on what the nature of your issue is. Could be a burnt clutch which it sounds like, could be tranny mission.

Sounds more like a burnt clutch though. Im sure you can find a shop to do it for 700 bucks. Or you can DIY for like 300.

Depends on where you go, and who you know.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I did it myself for under $300. Really wasn't that bad if you have a garage and a few tools.

Does the pedal have pressure still?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Yea, I was thinking/hoping maybe it could have been the slave that went out. But I guess not because you have pressure. I guess the burning clutch smell for almost an hour doesn't support that idea anyway.

It would be even cheaper if you reused your pressure plate and flywheel and only replaced the clutch disc yourself. I replaced all three and my TOB for $260 I think.

That's weird that it would burn up that quickly. I wonder what brand they used..

·
Registered
763 Posts
He isnt over heating anything on a stock F22 motor.
eninge size, power doesn't matter. my buddy burned his friends clutch on a 1.6L Mazda Protogay very easily. same symptoms pretty much.

-smelled for an hour
-driveable but slipping

you need a new clutch my friend, replace everything if you can.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I'd recommend the exedy one you posted a link for. I just installed the exact same thing about 2 months ago and am very happy with it so far. (Big change from the stage 3 I had)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Haha, that's a huge difference from an Exedy oem replacement. Maybe get a "stage 2" exedy..

What are your plans for the motor?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha, that's a huge difference from an Exedy oem replacement. Maybe get a "stage 2" exedy..

What are your plans for the motor?
na if its really aftermarket ...then i dont wanna fk with it...im swappin the motor n tranny in a cuple months neway wich is y im tryna stick with somethin basic for now......so i think its actually mostly between the exedy and that f1 stage 1...?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Okay. I'd go with the exedy. It's good quality and relatively cheap (seems like you want a lower priced one). Just wanted to make sure you weren't doing some 300whp build where you'd want sonething with more grab.

A 6 puck is equal to a stage 3 pretty much. It gets to be a real bitch for daily driving. Mine was a disc style (not puck) and even that was pretty bad. My left calf has never been so strong. =P

·
Registered
25 Posts
so it looks like it is the clutch.....im jus goin with something oem as possible right now since ima swap the motor and tranny ina couple months neway......ill prob get a kit on ebay for somewhere between 100-140 shipped.... so its looking like exedy or F1 racing stage 1?...any recommendations?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-R...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXED...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If you only need something for a temp, you should buy my clutch, its 50 bucks and still got a lot of life on it. Its from an h22, but I think it should fit yours as well.

As for your friend telling you to get a 6 puck clutch for your f22, I dont think that is just.

Who's doing your swap?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts