Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so 1 week ago i installed this intake that came off this civic si. The piping it WAY to big for my intake throttle. I would say its 1/2inch bigger. So during that week ive been burning gas like crazy... i didnt know why either. A full take of gas only lasted me 6 days. I went down to smell my exhuast air and that shit smelled so bad it made me dizzy a little. I could even smell it from outside. All this happend when i installed that oversized intake. I took the piping off and put my stock rubber pipe with just the intake. If its not the intake then what could it be? the sensors?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
The size of intake pipe will not cause that.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
You have 4 sensors that will affect your fuel trims

TPS
MAP
O2
ECT

either one of these is causing a problem or you need a tune up.

as 88SE said, the intake isnt going to cause you to run rich. it COULD if we had a MAF on these cars...but thank god, honda didnt use MAF sensors til some of their recent models :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
omg that fucken sucks then.... now that is the 1st problem that my car gave me since i bought it... ArGhhh! i was saving money to buy new tires too!! now i have to take it to a shop and stuff...
Um... say i run on rich fuel for a while untill i get money to fix it will it make my car weaker? as in hp in other words racing other people. My freind called me out in 1 week.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
goku said:
omg that fucken sucks then.... now that is the 1st problem that my car gave me since i bought it... ArGhhh! i was saving money to buy new tires too!! now i have to take it to a shop and stuff...
Um... say i run on rich fuel for a while untill i get money to fix it will it make my car weaker? as in hp in other words racing other people. My freind called me out in 1 week.
its bad for your catalytic converter...and depending on how rich its running, it can hurt performance...

is the check engine light on?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no the engine cheak light is not on. Im planning to get a performence cat too. Its like when i turn on my engine i smell the fuel even if im in the car. I also ducked down to smell my exhuast pipe and it was horrible. I compared it to my freind 00 civic si and his hardly smelled compared to mine.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
well...duh
its 10 years newer

yours should not smell bad tho. these cars run pretty clean.
best start reading some in a service manual of sorts and get diagnosing the problem ;)

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,349 Posts
I hope you're not smelling your muffler when your car is on. That's not good practice. Also, if you smell fuel when you're in the car, you might have a fuel leak (duh, explaining why you're ripping through tanks of gas). One not-quite-as-obvious possibility is that your charcoal canister is full and is leaking fuel. This thing is only supposed to deal with fuel vapors. Sometimes, if you go ape filling up your car with gas and you put in too much, you can get fuel in the charcoal canister, and that can make it smell like fuel in the passenger compartment. When you're filling up your tank and the fuel pump stops and clicks off, that means it's full, so don't put any more fuel in. If it doesn't cause your charcoal canister to fill up with fuel, it might make fuel piss out all over your quarter panel.

This probably isn't your problem, but it might be something to consider if you've explored every other possibility.

--J

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know when I start my car in the morning, the exhaust smells like gas (exactly like what you smell at the pump, or pretty close). But when I drive her for a bit and come to a red light or stop sign, I can smell a huge difference from my exhaust (when my moonroof is open). Now I know that I am burning a little bit of oil, but how can I tell if I am burning too rich as well?

·
4,349 Posts
Take a spark plug out and look at it. If it is black and kinda fluffy-looking, you're rich. If it's black and wet-looking, there's oil getting in there somehow. A spark plug makes a great air/fuel gauge sometimes. However, if you're running rich AND burning oil, it might be difficult to determine either scenarios just from the spark plug since the plugs will see both conditions. Basically, though, if you're ripping through tanks of gas and you are positive that there is no leak, you are PROBABLY running a bit rich. I guess if it's possible to tell if there is black fluffy shit AND black wet shit on the plugs, then you know for sure you've got both conditions. Other than that, keep an eye on your fuel consumption and oil level. If there are no leaks, they're definitely going somewhere.

--J

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Import_Tuna said:
I hope you're not smelling your muffler when your car is on.

Damn, I did smell the muffler when the car was on... heheh not that long though.. just a little sniff.

·
4,349 Posts
Well, I think we've all done that before. Just don't do it for too long or you might pass out and die. Not really that big of a deal. Just something to watch out for.

--J

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know that I am burning a little bit of oil, so, like you said, it might be hard to tell if I am burning rich from the spark plugs. I did look at the spark plugs, and they are black and dry. As well, I have a ticking in my engine which is possibly the valves being loose because the seals need to be replaced. With this as a possibility, that may be the reason why there is oil getting into the combustion chamber, therefore causing my funny smelling exhaust. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
4,349 Posts
The ticking might also be going on because the valve lash needs to be adjusted. That's way easier than valve seals, but it won't take care of an oil burning problem. It sounds as though you might have to rip the whole thing apart and put it back together to get that rig to stop burning the wrong shit.

I do not see how bad valve seals could cause the valves to chatter about in the head. I can see how bad valve guides could cause the valves to want to fuck around, but not seals. Maybe I'm out to lunch or something.

It sounds as though your plugs aren't seeing any oil, so that means that if you really are burning Alaska black diamond, it's probably coming from beneath the pistons, and there's nothing funny about that. Hopefully your plugs aren't telling you lies, and really, how could they be? I'm not sure.

What exactly is the smell like? That might be a silly question, and I could easily try to find the answer at the beginning of this thread, but why should I expel the energy when you could just tell me?

--J

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the same problem but mine was a carb engine, and my carb need to be overhauled, fuel consumption was very bad, the exhaust smelled lyk unburnt fuel and when i go full throtle black smoke came out but i dont feel any poor acceleration and even new spark plugs and be damage at the instant u start the engine, but all of that is fixed after the carb overhaul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts